DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased the PAP2 Vonage kit but negelected to get a router. Has anyone used Vonage? I've almost decided on one of these:

SMC Barracade SMC7004VBR Router $70

But most people on forms I've visited use this one:
Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Router $115

I don't really need wireless at the moment, so other than that which of the 2 is better? (I could get wireless, can you shut off the "wireless" part till I need it?) I've read stuff about Qos is good for VOIP, does either of these have that?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Yes, you can turn off the wireless part until you need it. I picked up a very good dlink earlier this year on sale.. the cable modem is right between both computers.. which are about a foot apart.. no need for wireless.. but for $49 Canadian.. great price.

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
I have the Vonage service, it works flawlessly for me.

I have a Airlink+ AR315W router.

It's had a lot of bad reviews, and I did have a lot of problems with when i first got it, (that was before i got the vonage) But ever since i updated the firmware on it, it's been just fine.

I bought another one for my dad's wireless networking setup, about 6 months later, and it came with the updated firmware installed already. Works great for his network as well..

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I bought the WRT54G for $70 (I don't need the wireless 'speedbooster'). Now to try and set all this up... :brutal_26

1 - 5 of 5 Posts