DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, in an effort to save some costs I want to know which has the tendency to go bad first. The inner or outer tie rods?

·
Premium Member
18,247 Posts
The only thing that goes wrong with the inners are the bushings. They definitely go bad a lot more often than the outers.

If you haven't already done so, while you're at it, you might consider replacing the toe adjuster sleeves with some aftermarket ones at the same time - much better than the OEM sleeves - you'll have a much better chance of a good alignment with those.

·
Registered
308 Posts
why not just set aside the money and wait till they go? the longer you wait to replace them the longer it'll be before you have to replace them for the second time

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
You are going to need an alignment after changing out the parts so you might as well save and replace everything. You can get it close without the alignment, but it won't be perfect!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are going to need an alignment after changing out the parts so you might as well save and replace everything. You can get it close without the alignment, but it won't be perfect!
yeah I need my alignment done anyway. I had new links put in two months ago and Dan will be putting in new control arms next weekend.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why not just set aside the money and wait till they go? the longer you wait to replace them the longer it'll be before you have to replace them for the second time
because im having my front suspension done.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing that goes wrong with the inners are the bushings. They definitely go bad a lot more often than the outers.

If you haven't already done so, while you're at it, you might consider replacing the toe adjuster sleeves with some aftermarket ones at the same time - much better than the OEM sleeves - you'll have a much better chance of a good alignment with those.
Thanks peva.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,441 Posts
Best thing to do is inspect and replace what is worn, unless overhauling the whole front end; in that case, replace it all. We can check the outer tie rods and inner bushings and replace as needed if on a tight budget.

Here in the rust belt, the adjuster sleeves are usually so seized up that you cant even remove them from the inner tie rods without breaking them or damaging the threads, so you end up replacing the inner tie rods, sleeves, and outer tie rods.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Best thing to do is inspect and replace what is worn, unless overhauling the whole front end; in that case, replace it all. We can check the outer tie rods and inner bushings and replace as needed if on a tight budget.

Here in the rust belt, the adjuster sleeves are usually so seized up that you cant even remove them from the inner tie rods without breaking them or damaging the threads, so you end up replacing the inner tie rods, sleeves, and outer tie rods.
I guess we will check it out when I get there and fix if necessary. Don't want to overload you with work (not that I haven't done that already).

·
Premium Member
18,247 Posts

32 - (you don't mind if I call you '32', do you?) :) You can buy the inner and outer as an assembly in aftermarket, right? I've only replaced the inner bushings and the adjuster sleeves piecemeal, so that's why I don't know the answer - but would they come with the inner bushings and the much nicer aftermarket sleeves? If they do, and they are priced decently, that would be a good way to go I would think. You agree?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,441 Posts
32 - (you don't mind if I call you '32', do you?) :) You can buy the inner and outer as an assembly in aftermarket, right? I've only replaced the inner bushings and the adjuster sleeves piecemeal, so that's why I don't know the answer - but would they come with the inner bushings and the much nicer aftermarket sleeves? If they do, and they are priced decently, that would be a good way to go I would think. You agree?
Sure, 32 is fine, LOL... I have only seen the parts separate. The inners come with the bushings, then you have to get everything else separate.

As for the adjusters, it depends on who you get them from. The Moogs have the nice nut you can use to adjust the alignment. Other brands are just like the originals.

I wish they made them in an assembly, would definitely be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
18,247 Posts
Sure, 32 is fine, LOL... I have only seen the parts separate. The inners come with the bushings, then you have to get everything else separate.

As for the adjusters, it depends on who you get them from. The Moogs have the nice nut you can use to adjust the alignment. Other brands are just like the originals.

I wish they made them in an assembly, would definitely be the way to go.
Ahh - OK. I was thinking I'd read that they commonly come in aftermarket as an assembly - after your post and checking partsamerica.com and rockauto.com, I see that I was mistaken. Not sure where I got that idea from - the mind is a terrible thing . . .

Anyway - yeah - the Moog-type adjuster is what I had in mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.