DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I would like to thank all the members of DodgeIntrepid.net for being a great reference for me over the last couple years! I decided to join because I have a few questions myself and figured this would be the perfect place to post.

This summer I have decided to do the timing chain (and water pump) on my 2000 2.7. Also, I have noticed unexplained coolant loss, but the oil does not seem milky yet. I won't be driving it, and will pull it in the garage this week for the work. While reading up on how poor the design of the original pump is, I want to make sure I buy the right water pump for this job. I will most likely be shopping at AA (since the coupons are a pretty good deal) so I am curious to see if they have a sufficient water pump. Besides replacing the timing chain and water pump, I will be also replacing the primary chain tensioner. Anything else I should replace while in there?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Go to the dealer for the WP. Something as integral as that should not be cheapened, Especially on a fussy 2.7.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
I agree wil the man above 100%,, only OE on the water pump

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Also, since you are planning to change all this stuff out anyway, see what they charge for the whole "Kit". I am not 100% sure but there was a re-design on the chain which may or may not be available for your car. The updated chain requires replacement of everything the chain touches including, cam and crank sprockets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
timing chain kit

Thanks for the replies! I actually saw the timing kit at advanced auto for 400 something dollars and I already have purchased a chain. It included all the sprockets and cam chains.... I think the best reason to get in there is to replace the water pump anyway. I guess I will contact a dealer (is there a cheaper place?) for the pump. How can I tell that the water pump is the new design?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
If it's from the dealer, its the newer style.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If it's from the dealer, its the newer style.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
Most likely but, we still sell the older style pumps for those who don't want to do the whole project.

The original sprockets look a lot like the typical tooth style of a bicycle. Yet the chain is much heavier in design.

The newer style sprockets look almost like a turbine to me. And as a result, the chain is different looking too.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
So the new pump and old chain aren't compatible? Maybe I can still return the chain I purchased
They aren't compatible only if they are of different design. If you remove your 710 cap you should be able to see enough of the chain to tell if they are of the same type.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the good info... I am still shopping around for a kit that suits my needs for a reasonable price. I found a very good thread on essentially the same topic here:

showthread.php?t=178148

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just throw that url in the search the title is

2.7 Timing chain + Water pump.. Parts? Brands? Guides? Sprockets?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts