DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be a quirk among Dodges.

Came back from a long trip and had a quarter of a tank. Drove the car around town the past few days. One minute it'll trip a gas light, you'll park it and come out and start it up later and suddenly hey, quarter of a tank again. After another few KM's it'll throw a gas light.

Had these quirks with Magnums, Ram's, you name it.

Anyone?

·
Registered
452 Posts
yea its the way the fuel level sensor is located or something like that, the way ive seem to notice how it acts is if you have the front end up a hill you will read more gas, vice versa if you park down facing a hill, and it only really happens if you have under a 1/4 tank. check for that next time your parking and see what you find out, ive never asked if its like that in all treps but mine sure is

edit-didnt know this was 2nd gen thread but i would think they are the same

·
Registered
496 Posts
yea its the way the fuel level sensor is located or something like that, the way ive seem to notice how it acts is if you have the front end up a hill you will read more gas, vice versa if you park down facing a hill, and it only really happens if you have under a 1/4 tank. check for that next time your parking and see what you find out, ive never asked if its like that in all treps but mine sure is

edit-didnt know this was 2nd gen thread but i would think they are the same
Pretty much all cars gas needles will move based on how the car is parked (uphill, downhill, flat). For instance my Intrepid does it and so does my Camaro and my GTP. If it annoys you then just keep gas in it and no worries.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parking on a hill is one matter, it would read differently no matter what vehicle you own.

My quirk is I'm consistently parked level - and my needle will change positions every time I turn the igition off and then back on again.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
My truck is bad for this. If I turn the key to the 'on' position, I have 1/4 tank. Turn her over and start her, and I sit at almost 'E'. Pulled some trees out of long grass (cleaning up after a storm) ran the truck for about 45 minutes and hey look, 1/4 tank again...

Truck is a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD with a 6.0l gas

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definitely a common quirk among vehicles it seems, reading online I'm seeing a lot of comments, even filed complaints with manufactures.

No real idea what is causing this other than a possible failing sending unit? It's kinda something I've lived with for a few years now and this week have decided it's gotten worse and I want to kick the car. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts