What do you have/prefer?

• Desktop

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Laptop

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Both

Votes: 22 45.8%
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
I was always a desktop person since I got my first 'true' computer in 1990 (a 386SX w/2meg ram and a 40meg HDD). Went through a couple of 486s, a Pentium 333 (I think), and aCompaq Presario with an AMD 1.57GHz. All desktops.

Well, when I had to replace the video card in the Compaq so I could play Civ IV, I knew it was time to get a new system. This time, I got me a laptop and two wireless keyboard/mice sets (one is bluetooth), two Kensington docking stations with port replicators, two power cords, and so forth. I now have lug my laptop back and forth to work, but have the convenience of not having to sync data anymore. With the port replication and wireless keyboards and mice, I NEVER EVER use the integrated inputs on the laptop.

Oh, the laptop is a Dell E1505 with a 1.84GHz Intel Centrino Dual Core, 1GB Ram, integrated bluetooth, integrated 802.11 a/b/g, widescreen 15" screen, 80GB HDD (small, but so far okay), and some pretty sucky integrated speakers. ;)

well, i honestly think each type has its own uses and its own right, and i really like both, so i didnt bother to vote

but as for what i actually own:
i have a custom-built desktop that i originally built in 2003 at the age of 14, learned all of what i now know about building computers and working on computers from the experience, also only spent $400 on my first computer, and this included some fairly decent stuff
but in late 2004 i decided it was time for an upgrade, and i rebuilt it, using the same case and case fans, but entirely new components:
AMD Athlon 64 2800 - yeah, i know, only a 2800, but these things were expensive back when i got one, and it still works fast enough for me
Maxtor 120GB HDD
1024MB RAM
430W PS
Plextor 12X DVD Burner
Sony 52X CD Burner

for college however i am getting a laptop as a graduation gift
I have not the slightest clue what i am getting, probably a Dell, and most likely a higher end model, i'd love to get an XPS
at any rate, this laptop will always have a wireless mouse attached to it
why?
because i cannot stand the little touchpad on laptops... actually, i cant really stand the whole condensed keyboard thing either
but for functionality, a laptop is great, which is its positive aspect for me

I just purchased an Apple Mac mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz system. I've had Apple towers for years but decided I wanted something small and fast for a change. Works great.

I put mine together myself 3.0 GhzP4/3gigs of ram. My monitor just indicated to me that this thread belongs in The Off Topics Forums area of Di.net under Computers ,Networking Technology

Prefer desktop, and I have 4 of them, but I require a laptop. I have one, HP DV8225NR with a 17" widescreen. I use a 26" HP LC2600 HDTV for my primary desktop monitor/media center hooked to a Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR and an HP M7360 Media center PC. Klipsch Ultra 5.1 surround. Thay's in my office. The living room is even more nuts.

Apple Macbook 1.83ghz white here

sneke_eyez said:
at any rate, this laptop will always have a wireless mouse attached to it
why?
because i cannot stand the little touchpad on laptops... actually, i cant really stand the whole condensed keyboard thing either
but for functionality, a laptop is great, which is its positive aspect for me
Get (or suggest) an HP with a 17" widescreen, and you'll have a full sized keyboard, and numerical keypad. get a model with bluetooth, and a bluetooth mouse, and you won't need to attach a bluetooth or wireless dongle to the thing to use that external mouse. That plus the 17" widescreen is priceless for DVD's.
Dell, and Toshiba don't have the full KB and NP on even their 17" models.

Dodgaholic said:
Get (or suggest) an HP with a 17" widescreen, and you'll have a full sized keyboard, and numerical keypad. get a model with bluetooth, and a bluetooth mouse, and you won't need to attach a bluetooth or wireless dongle to the thing to use that external mouse. That plus the 17" widescreen is priceless for DVD's.
Dell, and Toshiba don't have the full KB and NP on even their 17" models.
hmmm, thanks for the suggestion, i will definitely look into it

I am currently running a home-built desktop PC. One of at least 8 in the household. I built her myself:

Cooler Master Cavalier Desktop Case
ABIT IS7-V2 Motherboard (most reliable part of my PC)
Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz CPU
1 GB Corsair Valuselect RAM
80 GB Western Digital Caviar SE HDD (system drive)
160 GB Samsung HDD (games archive)
nVidia GeForce 6600GT AGP (still a pretty fast card)
SoundBlaster Audigy ZS Gamer Edition (hell yeah)
Sony DVD-RW 16x
Sony DVD-ROM
Hanns.G 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor ($185 on NewEgg.com, gorgeous picture, DVI connection, very happy with this)
Philips PC Speakers (2.0 System with in-speaker subs, sounds amazing)
Silver desk lamp (christmas tree shop special) :biggrinfl

This was a very difficult project, replaced several incompatible parts, but she's purring like a walrus now. I know shes not the latest and greatest but I'll probably keep running this PC until I start another PC project or get a laptop.

Josiah

Long post but I thought I'd share :biggrin:

Main Box(primarily just for movies/music/web browsing/photoshop):
Aspire X-Cruiser blue led case
2.8GHz P4
512mb DDR (1gb sometime in the next few weeks)
120gb IDE HD
Iomega Super DVD all format burner
17" Sony Trinitron CRT Flat Screen
JBL Creature spekaer sytem(sounds badass)

Sony Vaio Home Theater PC(my old main box slightly modified)
1.3ghz celeron
256mb sdram
60gb harddrive
ATI Radeon 128mb with composite/s-video out
Avermedia Media Center TV tuner card
Turtlebeach 5.1 Surround Sound Card with optical output
IR Remote Control
SageTV Media Center/PVR Software

IBM Thinkpad T41
1.6GHz Pentium M
1GB DDR
40GB HD
DVD-ROM
ATI Mobility Radeon with S-video outputs
Integrated 802.11a/b/g wireless
Weighs nothing, thin, built like a tank - it goes everywhere with me

My favorite machine I've built. I put it together for my dad for our store:
P4 3.06GHZ P4 with HT
160GB SATA HD
1GB DDR 2
ATI Radeon 256mb video card
19" LCD Monitor

I definitely need to pick up a mac to play with. I haven't had one in a long time. I guess I'll have to save up for a laptop because I don't have room for another desktop.

Have 4 comps wired up into a network here at home. 1 is mine(Dell Dimension 4300, 80gigs, 1mb, and thats all I know of it LOL) 1 is my moms(Some Acer POS), 1 is for the kids(Some compaq POS), and my father has a laptop(Some high end Dell model)...

Yes, Im a computer retard :p

JLWX5 said:
Hanns.G 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor ($185 on NewEgg.com, gorgeous picture, DVI connection, very happy with this
Sweet, another proud Hanns.G owner. The specs were great and so were the reviews so I bought one for my brother and was so pleased with it I got one for my dad and my uncle. I'll probably be buying a 4th for myself very soon. Its better than many I've seen at $300+ and has a full 3yr warranty. How can you loose?

00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
Sweet, another proud Hanns.G owner. The specs were great and so were the reviews so I bought one for my brother and was so pleased with it I got one for my dad and my uncle. I'll probably be buying a 4th for myself very soon. Its better than many I've seen at $300+ and has a full 3yr warranty. How can you loose?
I was so amazed at the monitor. I expected something all blurry and discolored with dead pixels, etc. This thing is gorgeous. I can almost fit 2 IE windows side by side with the Widescreen at 1440x900. I'm considering a dual monitor setup, and if i do I would get another Hanns.G in a heartbeat. I was actually almost going to buy a 350+ Samsung monitor with basically the same specs and then saw this one and bought it. Mine is 19" Widescreen, has speakers (haven't tried them), DVI input, VGA input, VESA wall mount capability, 5ms response time, haven't noticed a problem with the picture in any games except older ones that don't really know how to respond to widescreen lol. I'll probly get the VESA kit once I get a new desk and everythings all organized how i want it. Hate to have to screw into the wall a few different times if i changed my mind. Anyways, yeah I love it, go buy one, you won't be dissappointed. It was on my welcome mat within 2 days of ordering. AND free shipping :-D

I can't really complain about it but if i had to have a con, it would be that when watching movies its not true 16x9, its actually 16x10, but its understandable since its a LCD monitor, not a TV screen.

Josiah

i havent read anyother post , but im running a laptop. its a middle class laptop lol compaq presario 2100. i used to HATE AMD. ive been thru any and every kind of desktop set up possible. did the whole water cooling. overclocking pushing it all to the limits. i loved it.. but i grew out of that phase. traded it all for this laptop. and i must say... for an AMD i love it. i wish it was intel tho lol. i plan on getting an Alienware laptop for my own christmas gift. my boy has one , its by far the best computer ive ever used. yes , desktops are more expandible but laptops hold their vale more compared to desktops. ive got an external drive that i can pop my 200 gig HD into or my DVD burned with lightscribe (burns a icture image ontop of the CD ... no marker needed lol) i favor that laptop more now. i guess i grew up a little bit. lol

00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
I definitely need to pick up a mac to play with. I haven't had one in a long time. I guess I'll have to save up for a laptop because I don't have room for another desktop.
Go for a Mac mini - 6.5" square and only 2" high and starting at $599 new. It can sit on top of one of your other desktops and share kb,ms, and monitor, etc...

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.