Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Laptop

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Both

Votes: 22 45.8%

Who has what - Computers.

1K views 36 replies 30 participants last post by  jtfolden 
#1 ·
What do you have, what do you prefer? Why?

#3 ·
I have both laptops and Desktops.

I use the desktops stirctly for work, and DVD Burning

Otherise my Laptop is basically an appendage of my body I rarely go anywhere without it. For a personal computer I dont think I would buy anything other than a laptop. Its juse easy being mobile(Laptop Scenarios: GPS system in my car, Chatting in the living room, enjoying the weather on the deck)

#4 ·
Laptop.....but I'd like to get a desktop......I think I'm just gonna pump up the speed of my laptop and I'll be fine ;)

#6 · (Edited)
3 self assembled PC boxes with the following wimpy processors...2.0ghz/2.4ghz/3.0ghz(1 for sale). A Dell laptop for work..which the idiots at GE decided was a smart move from an IBM Thinkpad. And an Apple Dual 1.0ghz MDD and a 1.2ghz Apple Cube. My Macs never crash and when I choose shutdown,,they do it immediately and don't spend 5 minutes thinking about it. For the apps that aren't available on the Mac..then I need a PC. Plus 2 for sale Apple boxes. Probably too many computers in the house!

#8 · (Edited)
I have a desktop I built 3 years ago. 2.4 processor which was pretty bad ass for the time. Somehow everything (case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, modem, speakers, and chair and desk) all match perfect; Black and Chrome. I would like a laptop just for the portability but I'm too thrifty.

#11 ·
I have both. Laptop is mainly for my mp3 player and when friends need help with their computers(Rare!). I PREFER the desktop because I get to sit back in my big black leather chair with my nicely-spaced out keyboard(hate laptop keyboards) and surround sound. Desktop all the way.

#15 ·
I have 6 PC's running right now.
1 is mine, 1 is the kids, the rest is part of my Folding@home "farm"

Mine is:
AMD 64 3700+@2900mhz
EVGA NF41 nForce 4 motherboard
1gb Mushkin Redline
EVGA 7900 GT CO SC
2x200gb Maxtor SATA HDD's Raid 0
Creative X-Fi Platinum
Lite-On DVD reader
Lite-On DVD burner
Stock Opteron 4 pipe heatsink....heh

#17 ·
Myself

1 – Home Built AMD 1.4ghz desktop(5 years old, but it works)
2 – Dell Server
3 – Alienware Area51m 7700 Laptop
4 – Dell C-400 (Kitchen Laptop)
5 – HP Ipaq

Wife

1 – HP ZD7000 Laptop
2 – Dell 700m Laptop
3 – HP Ipaq

6 y/o Daughter

1 – Panasonic Toughbook

3 y/o Son

(The reason the daughter has a Panasonic Toughbook)

#18 ·
3 desktops, 1 Dell, 1 HP, one custom built

2 laptops both Dell 1 for work, 1 for home.

I prefer my Custom Desktop Personally, I've got all my applications on it that I use, and it's also my storage center for music, movies, and pictures.

#20 ·
I have a desktop used strictly for my business (don't want to risk viruses or add excess wear.) I have a laptop I use strictly for internet surfing. I just bought a great all in one laser machine (copier/fax/scanner/printer) which is networkable. I directly connect my desktop pc to it and wirelessy connect the laptop to it via the router.

Laser printers/all in one machines are coming way down in price. I paid just $250 after rebates for my Brother's all in one machine. Works great with super clear output for text and super fast speed.

#21 ·
I was always a desktop person since I got my first 'true' computer in 1990 (a 386SX w/2meg ram and a 40meg HDD). Went through a couple of 486s, a Pentium 333 (I think), and aCompaq Presario with an AMD 1.57GHz. All desktops.

Well, when I had to replace the video card in the Compaq so I could play Civ IV, I knew it was time to get a new system. This time, I got me a laptop and two wireless keyboard/mice sets (one is bluetooth), two Kensington docking stations with port replicators, two power cords, and so forth. I now have lug my laptop back and forth to work, but have the convenience of not having to sync data anymore. With the port replication and wireless keyboards and mice, I NEVER EVER use the integrated inputs on the laptop.

Oh, the laptop is a Dell E1505 with a 1.84GHz Intel Centrino Dual Core, 1GB Ram, integrated bluetooth, integrated 802.11 a/b/g, widescreen 15" screen, 80GB HDD (small, but so far okay), and some pretty sucky integrated speakers. ;)

#22 ·
well, i honestly think each type has its own uses and its own right, and i really like both, so i didnt bother to vote

but as for what i actually own:
i have a custom-built desktop that i originally built in 2003 at the age of 14, learned all of what i now know about building computers and working on computers from the experience, also only spent $400 on my first computer, and this included some fairly decent stuff
but in late 2004 i decided it was time for an upgrade, and i rebuilt it, using the same case and case fans, but entirely new components:
AMD Athlon 64 2800 - yeah, i know, only a 2800, but these things were expensive back when i got one, and it still works fast enough for me
Maxtor 120GB HDD
1024MB RAM
430W PS
Plextor 12X DVD Burner
Sony 52X CD Burner

for college however i am getting a laptop as a graduation gift
I have not the slightest clue what i am getting, probably a Dell, and most likely a higher end model, i'd love to get an XPS
at any rate, this laptop will always have a wireless mouse attached to it
why?
because i cannot stand the little touchpad on laptops... actually, i cant really stand the whole condensed keyboard thing either
but for functionality, a laptop is great, which is its positive aspect for me

#23 ·
I just purchased an Apple Mac mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz system. I've had Apple towers for years but decided I wanted something small and fast for a change. Works great.

#24 ·
I put mine together myself 3.0 GhzP4/3gigs of ram. My monitor just indicated to me that this thread belongs in The Off Topics Forums area of Di.net under Computers ,Networking Technology

#25 ·
Prefer desktop, and I have 4 of them, but I require a laptop. I have one, HP DV8225NR with a 17" widescreen. I use a 26" HP LC2600 HDTV for my primary desktop monitor/media center hooked to a Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR and an HP M7360 Media center PC. Klipsch Ultra 5.1 surround. Thay's in my office. The living room is even more nuts.

#26 ·
Apple Macbook 1.83ghz white here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.