DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day was hot as hell... the Trep needed a wash.. so the gf offered to help wash it with me. I insisted though that we do it in the shade cuase "you never wash or wax in the sun".

She got mad cause she wanted to tan at the same time so asked me "WHY not?"...

I don't know the REAL answer to that though other than "you're not sUpPoSEd to"....

I mean.. if we soap and rinse fast without letting it dry.. what's the problem? and what's the problem with waxing in the sun? Is there a chemistry major out there? hahaha

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Tell her to shut up slap her and take the car to the shade!!:eek: J/K!!!!!!!..(Pimpin aint easy u know)

Serously now.....
If you wash one area at a time then rinse it's not a big deal......from what I think is your cleaning the car and now if it dry the soap is dirty....when you haose it off the dirt we remain....so basically now your just hosing off the ride should have done that from the start.....just what I think!!!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The reason you would normally not wash/dry in the sun is you cannot rinse and dry the car quickly enough before the water begins to dry on the car. Drying water leaves water spots which can be a ***** to get off of a car or even worse is when the soapy wash drys on your car and leaves soap scum. I suppose if you are quick enough or if it is sunny but cool out you can do it. Sometimes I will wash my car in the sun but pull it in the garage/shade to dry it.

The reason you would not normally wax in the sun is the cars surface gets too hot...the wax does not set correctly/dry or will kind of bake on making it difficult to remove. Additionally a very hot car surface makes the clear coat much easier to damage/scratch.

Basically it is not the end of the world if you do either...just depends how anal you are about your cars appearance.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Wash your car a few times in the sun...you'll begin seeing light spots in the paint, especially if you have a darker color. The sun can cause "burns" in the paint where the water beads were before you dried it off, that cannot be removed....as well as all the above mentioned reasons....

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
I let the rain wash my car. I gave up on keeping the outside looking good when my car was keyed on my drivers side and right down the middle of my hood. I wish I knew who those ****ers were that did it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
that's going to be Uggg my car gets soo dirty in seconds!!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, I swear my car is magnetically attracted to dirt particles....not to mention bird @#^$.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
In2Deep said:
Wash your car a few times in the sun...you'll begin seeing light spots in the paint, especially if you have a darker color. The sun can cause "burns" in the paint where the water beads were before you dried it off, that cannot be removed....as well as all the above mentioned reasons....

Yes. The water droplets act like a magnifying glass and focuses the sun onto a small spot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts