DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I installed my deck(brand new clarion) My amp ( 8oo watt kenwood 2years old ) and my subs (2 12 inch rockfarts bout 10 years old ) I installed a stinger 4 guage kit and have the lovely diming light problome.... I know that a cap would help but it wound compleately solve the problome.. So I would like to find two things 1. A higher output alt and 2. a good ground straping kit..

Has anyone looked for or found these?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You shouldn't need a new alt with that amp, at all. Skip the cap. Update the big 3 and make sure you have a good ground. One of those should hopefully solve your problem.

A new HO alt will cost 3 times what you paid for your system. I run Ohio Generators in both of my rides but I run power in the 8KW+ range. 800 is under the window of needing an alt.

edit: you do have too many cars ;) hahahahah

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree with Johnny, Do not go with a cap, that could make matters even worse in all reality. Definately upgrade your ground. Both from the battery to the car chassis and from the battery to the engine for your ground. 4-8 gauge wire would be fine.

Also run a new 8 gauge wire from the output of your alternator straight to the batteries positive terminal. (make sure it is run in a very safe manner)

That amp should not cause that much stress on your stock electrical system.

And you will have issues if you sit in the 7-11 parking lot booming away with car at idle and the lights on, dome lights on, fan running etc. alternators really dont put out much at an idle, so keep that in mind too

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason for looking for a new alt is that the car is my wifes daily driver .. She likes heavy stuff( slipknot , mudvayne , and the more bassy rap that is out now.. ) when she id driving home on the freeway with the crusie set at 70 the lights dim with every bass hit.. I have been into the stereo game for along time and have never had this problme with such a low watt system.. I have already looked into a better battery and found a set of grounding straps.. but would still like to up the amps from the alt for good mesure..

And No I dont have to many cars .. I actualy just bought anuther .. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Interesting?

Still dimming at highway speeds? Hmmmmmmm...........

I would still upgrade the electrical wiring as i mentioned. The factory grounds are suitable for........well, factory equiped cars. (GM has the worst grounds i have seen though!) And the upgraded alternator wiring will allow the thing to put all it can into your electrical system.

A larger battery will NOT solve your problem, it will obly allow the audio sytem a little more time to do its thing before you run into voltage/current problems again.

Try the upgraded wiring first. If that does not work, then go for a larger output alternator. I am not sure,but doesnt the factory alternator integrate into the computer????? (not looked into this yet, anyone have info on this?)

Anyway, if it does not tie into the computer, then look for an alternator that will physically fit into the stock location, or at least close. Custom mounting brackets can be fabricated to make almost any alternator work in almst any car. Hell, I put 2 200 amp Lesteks on a ford festiva! LOL the damn audio system almost killed the engine at idle whenever you cranked the system!!!!!

I have not looked into high output alts for years, I am sure there is something out there that will work if you dig deep enough

Also, maybe turn the gains down on the amp! Dont tell her though!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
This might be a moron answer, but make sure every ground and positive ring terminal and bolt is very tight!! I had major power issues when my amp wire wasn't tight onto the positive jump point of my trep. Dad showed me that I should have taken 2 wrenches and go at it from both sides, which i didn't the first time. Might not be your problem, but wouldn't hurt to double check everything.

Josiah

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not lookin for a bigger battery Just a new one.. It has a walmart brand in there now witch works but looks to be old and I figure that I nice new optima gell cell will last longer and has a warenty.. I have talked to my Audio store and they have a four strap grounding system and I had them order that..Luckly for me My wife understands what is happening with the car and knows not to sit at a stop sing and have it cranked (unless she wants to walk) ....

I just had a quick thought... what dose the factory amp draw.. I have a few extra amps maybe I will find tha factory amp that is still running the stock speakers and replace that.. I hadent planed on doing that till I bought all the new speakers but what can it hurt..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts