• What's a Floppy?

Votes: 10 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
I said no but we still have them at work and some info is on them. All the new machines dont even have the reader though. Our older storage O-Scopes still use them.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
havent used those in ages!

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Haven't used them for myself in a few years, but I still have both sizes hanging around. Got some 5.25" boxed up with the Commodore 64, I'm sure, and some odds and ends 3.5" for the odd repair job with old school floppy drive, win 9x puters...

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
I had to buy a reader but yes i still have some,, guess im old fashioned

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
I voted yes but havent used them forever for myself. But my aunt had a old mac and wanted some files off of it to her new laptop (Big jump) so I had to put it all on floppys and then on my computer then put it on disc them to her laptop lol

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
My mom was upset that her new PC at work didn't have a floppy drive. She didn't know how she was going to back things up. I then introduced her to the flash drive. lol I still use one for XP boot disks but that's about it.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I still use them for boot disks and disk controller drivers, everything else I use SD cards, external HDDs and USB sticks for. Heck.... the CD burner is often collecting dust.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
My first computer at home was a Macintosh Plus, take an original Mac, give it a WHOLE MEG of RAM, a 800K 3.5 DSSD floppy drive (as opposed to a SSSD 400KB drive) and a SCSI port and that's basically a Mac Plus.

I had two of these floppy drives.... one floppy held my OS (System 6.0.8...upgraded from 3.2!) the other held about TEN apps! I could do everything except internet on it.

I later bumped it to the max of 4 MB and added an 80MB SCSI hard disk.

Looking back, I did some cool stuff with 1MB of RAM, 1.6MB of storage and a 8MHz CPU.

The fist computer I ever used was an Apple IIe without the 80 column display card (non enhanced config).... 64K of RAM, 1 5.25" floppy.

·
MU Alum in da House
284 Posts
I haven't used floppy in a while. I still have a few laying around but just collecting dust. I have an internal 100MB ZIP in the tower but that isn't hooked up either. I might just get an 8 n 1 memory card reader or something like that to fill the slot.
The floppy got outdated as soon as CD R/Ws became the standard and could boot from that. Most of the time if you pre order a computer from a company you have to specify the drive and when they do add it, they add $30 or so to the total.
For the record though, I did vote what is a floppy because i am a smart ass like that.
I do remember the lazer discs. When I was in like 2nd grade or something like that we used them in class.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts