DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHAT IS AN EVIC UNIT AND WHY HAVE I NOT HEARD ABOUT IT TILL NOW...DAMMIT...JUSTINSTALLED MY OTIS YESTERDAY 100 BUCKS GONE

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Ill have pictures of mine whenever my sister decides to upload them off her digital camera. Hopefully sometime tonite.

The EVIC is an upgraded OTIS. They are the same shape/dimensions... however the EVIC has a Menu button instead of the US/M button. The Menu button allows you to customize some things with your car like auto locking the doors when you start driving, open one door or all doors when you click the unlock button on the remote, whether or not to sound the horn when u lock, turn your lights on when the wipers come on (Im not sure if this will work on my R/T though). The Menu button is also used to set your language, service interval mileage, and either US or Metric numbers (eliminating the need for the US/M button on the OTIS). When the car is on, and I open a door, it will say "Drivers door open" or "Passenger door open" and it will display a picture of a car with which door is open.

Also... the EVIC is pixelated, so the display looks a lot better than the base console. For example, instead of saying "DTE 150mi" on the otis, the evic will say "Miles to Empty 150" spelled out, and it will even have a picture of a little gas pump which is pretty cool.

All in all, the base OTIS does all the important stuff, so the EVIC is just for more "toys" I suppose. The EVIC will only work on a 2001 R/T I believe, i dont think it will work on an ES or an SE... Otto can verify this though.

You can only get an EVIC from a 300m donor car that had the luxury package installed. A base 300m has the base console that mostly everyone else has. Don't feel bad if you just have a base console though, I just got lucky getting an EVIC but I would have been just as happy with the base console.

Its the "OTIS on steriods" ;) ;)

Hope this helps.

[ January 27, 2002: Message edited by: DjPiLL ]

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
does it remember the drivers seat settings for different drivers?
to me, that in itself is worth it :)

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
No... thats a setting with buttons on the seats themselves on the 300m cars.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You can also get an EVIC from a 2001 Donor LHS- they have the same console as the 300M. I wonder if my dad will know if I swap his EVIC with my OTIS? ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hmm,

Wonder why an EVIC would not work in any other 2001 LH sedan? :confused: There is no change in the computer's PCI bus nor language it uses. Only think it is not compatiable with the older LH cars per changes in the computer codes between models.

Anyone have some info on this? OTTO?

sURFN

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
BK: Does the LHS also have a luxury group option? Because the console that comes with the 300m is the base OTIS. My father owns a 2002 300m and he has the base console. You only get the EVIC if you have a luxury group option installed in your car.

As far as not working in any other LH 2001 platforms... I think the reason is the R/T shares the same computer that the 300m uses. I do not think the 2001 ES or SE has the same computer.

·
Registered
973 Posts
djpill - hey did you get the auto-dim mirror that goes with the EVIC? With my dark windows it seldom dims, but when it does I feel like I'm being followed by aliens, everything is green. Looks like you and I are the only ones to get the EVIC, at least so far.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Interesting. If the EVIC was not available on ES Treps, why does my '01 R/T Owners Manual go into great lengths on how to operate it?

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Don: I did not get the auto-dimming mirror. I actually do not like the auto-dimming mirror. Ive seen it on a 300m.. and one thing that really bothered me, was the fact that it would really rattle/vibrate if I had my music cranking. That would annoy the hell out of me. When I rented a 300m for a few days it was happening, and my father has a 300m now and it happens to him as well.

I think this happens because the autodimming mirror is connected using a wire/cable that comes out of the OTIS. The stock mirror is glued onto the windshield, so its a lot more sturdy.

Plus... with my subwoofer install happening next week, i couldnt even imagine how much it would vibrate.

Oh... with the ES intrepids... you get the OTIS console, so you do get something the manual can talk about.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My manual details both the OTIS and EVIC.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Originally posted by Rick W:
My manual details both the OTIS and EVIC.
My guess is that they have a generic layout for all the LH cars manuals, and some things may not pertain to your specific model. This would be much cheaper for DC, than having a different manual for each model and package available...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Otto, if you could verify that an EVIC could be swapped into a 2002 ES with an existing OTIS it would truely be appreciateed. There is a doa loaded 2001 300M at the dealership near me. Never new you could put a 90 degree bend into a car :eek: Apparently slid into a bridge support colum at highway speed.

thanks
darren

·
Registered
973 Posts
djpill - the auto mirror mounts exactly the same as the "stock" mirror. If your rental car or you Dad's car mirror vibrated, take a # something torx and tighten it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts