DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I was going to have to finally replace the battery but the negative terminal was heavily corroded.
Cleaned everything up replaced the negative terminal and I think it's going to be fine but time will tell.
I posted about this being the original battery before and got the BS feedback but no lie it is still original.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Woober Goobers!
49,891 Posts
LOL ! you're on "Borrowed" time for sure. I've seen reports of original Mopar bateries going 6-7 years but not 10+!

Have you been removing the caps and adding distilled water if needed? I'd guess not with the condition of the post clamp terminals!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL ! you're on "Borrowed" time for sure. I've seen reports of original Mopar bateries going 6-7 years but not 10+!

Have you been removing the caps and adding distilled water if needed? I'd guess not with the condition of the post clamp terminals!
Nope I've done nothing but clean the post when needed.
My wife keeps telling me to get a new battery but it's lasted so long now it's a challenge and I've accepted.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,639 Posts
All you'll have to do at this point to do it in is leave the headlights or interior lights on overnight. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am! I thought I was the only one. 01 3.2 with 73000. Car was a daily driver until 2010, now it's stored winters but I always put a trickle charger on it every other week when it's stored. As doubled72 said, its a challenge now to see how long it will last.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well had to replace the battery about a year ago July I think and the replacement didn't last a year, dead short in the battery. I did buy the cheapest battery I could find and they replaced it for free.
After jumping the car and on the ride home a check engine light P0118 came on. Its currently at a shop getting the coolant temp sensor replaced.
I was wondering what else could have been damaged because of the short? Other than a high idle which i assume is due to the temp sensor not sending a proper signal to the computer the car runs fine.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I replaced mine 2 years ago. It was, according to the date, 11 years old. I have not had that luck with any other battery so I guess whoever made them did a great job!

·
Premium Member
16,639 Posts
Wow! I've had batteries develop what seemed to be intermittent shorts, but never seen a melt down like that. Perhaps the difference is the shorts I've experienced were relatively minor - enough to pull the battery voltage down (usually a single cell shorts), and the current burns the short open, like a fuse, but yours was a hard short that dominated the battery and too big to burn open, but the huge short-term energy dump spread through tthe battery. I have never seen a "Chernobyl" like that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also changed the power wires just in case they overheated well. I added wire loom after the fact to protect the wires.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,891 Posts
Reminds me....need to check how old the battery is in my newly acquired 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Have a new NAPA AGM battery that was slated to go in my just totaled 2013 Dodge Durango. They both use the same size/group battery. Thanks for bringing this thread back up from the dead as a reminder!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dont know why anyone would brag about their old poop battery, one of the first thing I do when I get another car is replace the battery with a AGM. AGM are in all my cars and my girlfriends car, she has a habit of turning the engine off but still talk on her bluetooth, she can talk on her bluetooth now with the engine off for over 2 hours

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,639 Posts
Dont know why anyone would brag about their old poop battery...
Putting down other people (besides me) for no reason whatsoever, I see. You're about to earn yourself one-way ticket outta here.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Please dont, I might lose sleep just thinking about that.
Wasnt putting anyone down btw, to me a new battery is just what you do when you get a new car, like a tune up and an oil change, stuff like that. Everything just works better with good electrical.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,891 Posts
Do you get your batteries at your Dealer parts dept? heh

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dont know why anyone would brag about their old poop battery, one of the first thing I do when I get another car is replace the battery with a AGM. AGM are in all my cars and my girlfriends car, she has a habit of turning the engine off but still talk on her bluetooth, she can talk on her bluetooth now with the engine off for over 2 hours

In my experience the factory supplied lead acid batteries are not poop and have lasted longer than even the more expensive lead acid batteries you can get from the parts store.

I know several people that replace their batteries every 2 years whether it needs it or not. I think thats going a little to far.

I don't see why I would replace something thats brand new and could last 18 years and has cost me nothing over its 18 year life.

AGM batteries can fail just like any other battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts