DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Why did you buy your intrepid?

• Because of its high performace and ability to be modified

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Because it was the best family car available and you thought it would be best for your growing famil

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Because of its extremely good used car price

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Because it was a hand-me-down

Votes: 10 22.7%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the most part, most people on this site seem to really love there intrepids. My question is about how you came to this love. Did you buy the intrepid because of its hight performance qualities and ability to be modified? Did you buy it because it was the best family car on the road and you thought it would be the best for your growing family? Did you buy it because of its extremely good used car price? Did you recieve it as a hand-me-down?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i bought my because of its great price. In my look for a vehicle i really had wanted a truck but you cant get a good for cheap. Intrepids had always been a good deal and when i finally found one it was a steal. I wish i had know of the problems with them before hand but there all part of the adventure. There has been nothing serious yet, just interesting. Heres to hoping things stay well!

·
Banned
128 Posts
As for my 2002, I was looking for a car it's size and also in it's price range. I was torn between a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix and a 2002 Intrepid. They both had about the same reviews and the price was within a hundred bucks. I was trading in a 1996 Intrepid and the only "major" repair I had to do on it was a water pump at 79,000 miles. So, The Intrepid won. Then I found DI.Net and the rest is history!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
My situation isn't listed up there.

I bought my Intrepid for the following reasons:

1.) I fell in love with it's looks... both inside and out

2.) My past experience with Intrepids (a 1995 Intrepid 3.3L) was good

3.) The roominess of the interior

4.) The price was right.

I couldn't care less about the family sedan attributes.. but I do like the above-average handling.

My only gripe with it of any significance is the resale value. I still love my car, though. :)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I feel in love with the intrepid when it first came out and told myself that I was going to get one when I got the chance. Now I am currently on my third one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
paid 1g for mine and its better and will run faster than my lumina. Was my dads idea. The good thing is that i can do stuff to it.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I was coming to the end of a lease of a 1998 base model. I loved that car. I knew I wanted to buy an R/T so I started checking local dealers. I found an Inferno Red R/T for $26k and a Silver R/T for $21k. But when I walked into the dealer showroom and saw the $29k Black R/T Motorsport, I had to change my undies! :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
You missed the one item in the poll

5.) The wife liked the big shiney rims (SXT), silver color and wanted it for her anniversary present!

I should have learned with the second time around??? :crazy:

Now I have it fixed up to my liking also. :wink:

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was actually looking at the stratus thinking that I couldn't afford an Intrepid (I was 21 at that time working as a clerk) when a buddy of mine told me to look at the Intrepid and how "different" it's styling was i started looking at it very closely. As I was going from dealer to dealer I almost walked away from the intrepid completly because every dealer that I went to needed a co-signer for the loan, I was really trying to avoid that because I wanted to do it on my own. Well after being discouraged a little, i told myself, "try one more dealer" to my surprise the final dealer I visited was able to whip together a package with 1.5% financing for 5 years, and a loan all by myself. That was exactly what I was looking for. Oh, also Ii wanted a car that not everybody and thier mother had, plus I knew down the road I would fix it up (wish I knew then what I know now) and that nobody really fixed these kind of cars up so maybe I would have been the first

·
Registered
225 Posts
I got mine from my parents, so its a hand me down. But I still like my Intrepid alot.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I really fell in love with the car the first time I saw it on the car lot. Orginally I was looking at a Taures, but price wise I was getting more with the Intrepid and it looks were foar better than the ford.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As for me, I needed a car before I began my daily drives from home to the university I had transferred to. Previously, I had a 1988 Cadillac Brougham that was big and comfy but I had to leave it in Las Vegas after I had driven it there with some buds for vacation during the summer of 2001, after it had overheated in the desert resulting in severe engine damage. I got my Intrepid in August 2002, after looking at two '96 Mercury Cougars and a Lincoln Mark VIII and perhaps some other cars. The Mark VIII was too expensive as was one of the Cougars. The other Cougar seemed like it may have had several problems with it. The Intrepid was in great condition with a cool leather-bound interior, it looked neat in its red color, it had great interior room (I'm 6'5"), and had only around 67,350 miles on it. It was within my price range ($6995), and I got it. Oh ya, I had also checked out a '96 Camry, but lets just say that was a bit too generic for my taste

·
Registered
54 Posts
As for me, I needed a car before I began my daily drives from home to the university I had transferred to. Previously, I had a 1988 Cadillac Brougham that was big and comfy but I had to leave it in Las Vegas after I had driven it there with some buds for vacation during the summer of 2001, after it had overheated in the desert resulting in severe engine damage. I got my Intrepid in August 2002, after looking at two '96 Mercury Cougars and a Lincoln Mark VIII and perhaps some other cars. The Mark VIII was too expensive as was one of the Cougars. The other Cougar seemed like it may have had several problems with it. The Intrepid was in great condition with a cool leather-bound interior, it looked neat in its red color, it had great interior room (I'm 6'5"), and had only around 67,350 miles on it. It was within my price range ($6995), and I got it. Oh ya, I had also checked out a '96 Camry, but lets just say that was a bit too generic for my taste. Now I think I'm gonna shoot for a '98-'02 Camaro Z28 or SS in a year or two.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
None of the above. Close, but not quite.

I was looking for big, comfortable and affordable transportation for a big family. Sedan, wagon or van, it didn't matter as long as it wasn't a mini-van.
I was leaning toward a Crown Vic or Bonneville when I stumbled on an article in Popular Mechanics comparing the "current crop of performance sedans." The Intrepid R/T rated best handling and best bang for the buck compared to the Bonneville SSEi, Grand Prix GTP and another I can't remember. The lack of a supercharger on the R/T saved thousands over it's competition and the styling was unique. I decided to take a closer look.
The wife and I drove up to White Bear Dodge to pick up a brochure for research (I love those big glossy sales books, don't you?). As soon as we walked in, I spotted a silver R/T on the showroom floor. I knew in an instant that if this car performed as well as it looked, I was making my deal. One test drive later I was driving it home. :biggrin:
I've been satisfied with the car and the dealership ever since.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Vision that I drive was my Uncle's, he sold it to me at a nice price, under 2k
It was kept really nice, When I got it people asked "woah is that a new car?"

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have wanted an Intrepid since I was in the 8th grade. Finally my senior year of HS I got one. I was looking at Monte Carlos because that was what I was used to driving. Then my Mom took me by a Chrysler dealer and we saw my car. I liked it and took it home a few days later.:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
None of the above. I switched from a Ford Explorer Sport to the Intrepid SXT for the styling, comfort, and...

the old phrase "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday". Of course, in my case, that would be "BUY on Monday"! :tongue:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Because of its high performace and ability to be modified
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
No way, no way, no way.
The 214hp is a sales tool. Nothing wrong with 214 hp but a 3800 lbs beast like our first gen LHS needs more torque. Sure it fells great at 5500rpm plus but until then.....
Modifications available through the aftermarket = ZERO.
No Mopar Performance, Hyperchip, Jet.

Ok, positives.
Our 94 LHS was chosen after looking at Luminas, Taurauses, New Yorker, Intrepid and a 97 LHS.
Sold my 95 Ram sport, reg cab with a 5 speed to buy this car. Family is now up to 5.
I absolutely Love the styling, still do even for an 8 year old car.
Very comfortable to it's passengers.
Loaded with features.
I feel good knowing my wife and kids pampered and safe.
Air bags, Antilock brakes, and 3800lbs of Hamilton Steel.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts