DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Jackfish again. Ive noticed while on the highway once she gets dark out that the lighting quality of my trep is just god awful! My buddys '99 Jetta TDI is FAR better. What could you recommend to change that? Im looking into projectors. But will that solve the problem or just make it look nice and still light up the road for ****?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have projections in my 00 r/t and I'm about to switch back to regular housings.... I love the look of the projections but the light output it junk.... I also have hids in them too and I love those.... Would recommend just getting some hids

Sent from my Nexus S using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
119 Posts
Look into some nice bulbs... HID's are a popular thing to install now and days but they claims to be bad for colder environments.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got 35 watt 5000K HID's in SPEC D tuning projectors and I just love them. The light output is just phenomenal! These beat OEM anytime.

But that's just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Dumb question: Are they adjusted correctly?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I wouldn't recomment HIDs. The reflectors are designed for regular bulbs, and they don't direct the light properly with HIDs. To oncoming traffic, you'll look like you have your high beams on all the time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wouldn't recomment HIDs. The reflectors are designed for regular bulbs, and they don't direct the light properly with HIDs. To oncoming traffic, you'll look like you have your high beams on all the time.
I noticed that with a lot of makes and model vehicles. I'll give them the high-beam flick to remind them that their high-beams are on and then they end up flashing me back and I'm left thinking "WTF!??"

·
Woober Goobers!
51,014 Posts
Unless you get rebased D2R bulbs...you'll have stray lighting reflections annoying other drivers when using the stock headlights.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Aim them down enough and you won't have any problems. I have had them installed for 9 months and haven't had a single person ever flash me. I drive A LOT at night and have passed my fair share of local and state police as well. Just don't go putting them in your fog lights and you'll be fine. Those scatter light everywhere with HID bulbs.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Even with rebased bulbs, the lighting pattern with HID in halogen cans is crap, and the Intrepid cans deal with the 3X higher light output better than most.

Aiming them down helps with glare but all you get is a big blob of light right in front of your car. This may be comforting in the city but it's not so good in the dark boonies as it prevents you from throwing a beam down the road very far, even with the high beam engaged. Also, that big blob of light immediately in front of the car destroys your night vision.

I speak from experience on this. Once you go projector, you NEVER go back.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Even with rebased bulbs, the lighting pattern with HID in halogen cans is crap, and the Intrepid cans deal with the 3X higher light output better than most.

Aiming them down helps with glare but all you get is a big blob of light right in front of your car. This may be comforting in the city but it's not so good in the dark boonies as it prevents you from throwing a beam down the road very far, even with the high beam engaged. Also, that big blob of light immediately in front of the car destroys your night vision.

I speak from experience on this. Once you go projector, you NEVER go back.
What kind of projectors are available for our cars though? The Spyders? I'll take the stock headlights over those any day with HIDs.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
What kind of projectors are available for our cars though? The Spyders? I'll take the stock headlights over those any day with HIDs.
I have a 300M Special...those are the only LH with factory HID projectors. The Special uses D1S lamps. Most retrofits will use the less expensive but just as effective D2S lamp. (D1S has an integrated ignitor, D2S has an external ignitor)

If you want good HID, you're gonna need to build some projector cans. If you had an LHS or 2002+ Concorde, the retrofit would be far easier as those use halogen projectors and rebased bulbs work OK (still not great) and HID projectors are easier to retrofit in.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,014 Posts
Too bad they used D2S bulbs which are mean't for projectors instead of D2R bulbs which are made for reflector housings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts