DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fit?

I was looking at pictures of, and then at a van, and it seems that the later model 3.3 and 3.8 intakes are very low profile... Are these plastic intakes too tall?

After all, the latest 3.8 specs are higher HP and torque than the 3.5 24V engine...

So, if we could bore a 3.3, put in the pistons and intake and some high-flow exhaust headers or manifolds, it would seem that the 3.3 could become quite competitive with the 3.5, and even if we can't get the maximum flow as good, at least we could bump the torque up higher than even the 3.5, which would make a heckova nice driving car...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You have a good question there. I know the original 3.3 and 3.8L from the vans would have been too tall, but maybe the late models are different? It would still be alot of work tho, but if you got it to work it would be worth it.

If you are considering using the vans block I know you would have a problem with the mounts, numerous info on that topic in the forums.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Nope, unless you want a hole in your hood! The late model van intakes are acctually quite tall, they almost hit the hood of the van! I have some pictures but I'm in a bit of a hurry so I'll get them for you later. but the short answer to your question is no.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chewievette said:
Nope, unless you want a hole in your hood! The late model van intakes are acctually quite tall, they almost hit the hood of the van! I have some pictures but I'm in a bit of a hurry so I'll get them for you later. but the short answer to your question is no.
This is a very late 3.8 in a van.
http://images2.auction123.com/sizequalitypredef/e9082ca0-3e69-45c5-87d5-16a6385a58b8/2C8GP74LX2R690774/24.jpg?webimage001l

This is a 3.3 from an early 90's.

http://www.goldengup.com/ebay//93van32.jpg

I'm looking at the height above the rocker covers.

Compare it to a 3.3 intrepid.

http://carad.ebayimg.com/i5/04/a/06/d9/d1/c9_4.JPG

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k-nash said:
You have a good question there. I know the original 3.3 and 3.8L from the vans would have been too tall, but maybe the late models are different? It would still be alot of work tho, but if you got it to work it would be worth it.

If you are considering using the vans block I know you would have a problem with the mounts, numerous info on that topic in the forums.

No, not using the van block, using an intrepid block - bored, and using the 3.8 crank, pistons, rods, etc.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You could definatelly use up to a 2000 model year van 3.3/3.8 set of heads & cam. Dont believe using the 2001 & newer heads has been confirmed or done yet.

The big reason why the manifold on 2001+ takes up so much damn space & hood clearance- is because they redid the lower intake manifold and made it several times taller. I suppose if you took an upper 2001+ manifold, and made your own bracket/spacer to go between the OEM lower manifold and the 2001 upper you could make it any height you want- just make it as high as you can w/out it causing hood clearance problems and you'd be a step in the right direction.

http://dodgedynasty.50megs.com/3.3/new33lower.jpg

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
If you want to try it out be my guest but I'm 85% sure it Will hit the hood. Dont forget that the engine is NOT a stationary object!! If you have clearance when the car is shut off you might still have issues when you hit full throttle. If you need a little bit more room, take the heat shield off the bottom of the hood and pound the support structure flat in the area of concern. That should be good for another 1/2" but dont do it any more than you need! The structure is there for a reason. You might be able to wedge the intake in there but the effort involved in getting the thing to clear might not be worth it. Just like my 3.5L intake, the effort involved in making it fit is way too much for the average Intrepid owner.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chewievette said:
If you want to try it out be my guest but I'm 85% sure it Will hit the hood. Dont forget that the engine is NOT a stationary object!! If you have clearance when the car is shut off you might still have issues when you hit full throttle. If you need a little bit more room, take the heat shield off the bottom of the hood and pound the support structure flat in the area of concern. That should be good for another 1/2" but dont do it any more than you need! The structure is there for a reason. You might be able to wedge the intake in there but the effort involved in getting the thing to clear might not be worth it. Just like my 3.5L intake, the effort involved in making it fit is way too much for the average Intrepid owner.
Uhhhh, the average intrepid owner wouldn't even have this conversation.

Can someone out there measure the clearance from an easily available spot on the block or heads to the hood? I can probably find a later engine to measure, but at the moment, I can't find a first gen intrepid to measure.

I'm still looking... hoping to get a friend to go to the auto auction for me... Been seriously considering NOT getting a 3.5 due to apparent maintenance needs. But, how do you get a 3.3 without a speed limiter, and... Were any 3.3's Intrepids equipped with the firmer suspension?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Power Wagon said:
But, how do you get a 3.3 without a speed limiter, and... Were any 3.3's Intrepids equipped with the firmer suspension?

nope and not stock, you could replace the parts with the Sport suspension.. but hat would be pricey probably

·
Registered
23 Posts
The base intrepids from 95<?> had "touring" suspensions. The "performance and handling" suspension is really TOO stiff. I'm planning to use the engine cradle bushings from that kit on my "touring" 97 3.3. If it handles with them TRASHED as they are, stiffer won't hurt.
The 3.3 heads are not so weak as you may think. Look closer at them. A little valve bowl porting and some basic 'clean-up' they'll feed a 3.8, easy. Use 94<?>-up heads with "unshrouded" chambers.
Some notes on the 3.3/3.8;
-Newer 3.8s have cross-bolted mains (maybe the newer-er 3.3s?)
-01 and up have higher compression*
*if it's pistons that do it, same connecting rod used in older and newer
*same bore and stroke, CR of newer is about 9.2-9.4:1.
-The cranks are cross-drilled and have "radiused" journals (probably all yrs)
-01 and up engines use a "balance shaft," cam probably won't fit in older blocks*
*I'm REAL interested on cam and head interchange between new and old styles.

Boron-X

1 - 11 of 11 Posts