DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recommended to use Mobil 1 Synthetic oil, but will any Synthetic do?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The thing is, a lot of "Synthetic" oils are blends of dino-lube and synthetic. Mobil 1 is a 100% true synthetic. If you can find another brand that is honestly 100% synthetic then it should do what you want it to do which is to fight sludge buildup from using petroleum oils, which is the 2.7 liter's worst enemy...

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Also it is only 19.58 for a 5qt Jug at Wal-Mart. The cheapest i have found any where for 100% synthetic.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Amsoil user here.

Stuff is wonderful.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You don't have to use synthetic. But if you want to, any synthetic will do, but make sure your "synthetic" is really SYNTHETIC. I use Redline 10W40 in my Volkswagen and Castrol GTX 10W40 in the Chrysler.

I used Mobil 1 exclusively in my 1999 Acura Integra GS-R. I ran that car to 160,000 miles at 7,500 mile intervals. Engine looked like it was new on the inside.

I know for a fact that Mobil 1, Valvoline SynPower, Redline, Amsoil, and Royal Purple are 100% synthetic.

Castrol Syntec is NOT 100% synthetic.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
BessieIII said:
You don't have to use synthetic. But if you want to, any synthetic will do, but make sure your "synthetic" is really SYNTHETIC.
I know for a fact that Mobil 1, Valvoline SynPower, Redline, Amsoil, and Royal Purple are 100% synthetic.
Castrol Syntec is NOT 100% synthetic.
You're right, Syntec is a severely hydrocracked dino oil. But have you seen the post by Diane'95 wherein she says she's nearing 460K on her 3.3 using Castrol Syntec BLEND? Must be decent stuff!
Me, I'm an Amsoil user, but at this point I don't have enough miles on my car to know if it's any better than Walmart oil.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Syntec's a great oil. It's just not synthetic, as they claim. An oil does not need to be synthetic to be a great oil.

Pretty much ALL synthetic oils are of excellent quality, which cannot be said for conventionals or blends, whose quality is inconsistent at best.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
BadBob said:
Rotella T is a fairly decent hydrocracked, as is Delo. Plus the stuff's cheap and easy to find.

Last time i checked.. the 2.7L engine wasn't a diesel.

·
Registered
211 Posts
just in general, I run it in higher mileage v8s. It also meets all the gas engine requirements

"For gasoline engines, it exceeds API SL, SJ and SH."

15-W40 is probably a bit heavy for a 2.7 though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts