DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded from 98 to Win2KPro....with the exception of having to uninstall my Easy CD Creator and re-install it, everything works (surprisingly)

Anyone have any problems with this OS? Any suggestions? Just started the class today, so I'm just learning about it now. I was going to install Win2K Server, but it wouldn't let me update from 98. I didn't feel like having to reinstall every little thing on my computer, so I just went with 2K Pro. I'll get around to installing Server later (when I take that class) I have a 3 (soon to be 4)computer network at home, so pretty soon I'd like to have a central server running a couple workstations to practice on.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Originally posted by Intrepid98:
Nope, never had any problems with Win2k :) Once you start using it, you'll never want to go back to 98 ;)
True that! Win2k is a far superior OS to the Win 95/98/me series.

Wait till Windows XP arrives. I've been messing around with the betas and it is a pretty slick OS. Very close to Win2K but with the functionality of the 95/98/ME series. It's supposed the final combination of the two(Where the 95/98/ME branch combines with the NT/2K branch).

But get good with Win2K, XP is very similar.

Buschman

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The only problem I have ever found with 2k is its compatability wit Novell <Spit>... Also on alot of Compaq workstations it has some minor problems under intense workload...

Works real good on my Intellistation :) oh and looks nice on my 21 inch monitor... ;) Its my work box though :)

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: Si ]

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Small problem...

I installed it as a 32 bit file system as opposed to NTFS (since I have it networked to 2 other 98 machines)

Now that I have it networked, when I go on my 98 machines, I can see the 2K computer in Network Neighborhood...but when I try to access it from a 98 machine in Network Neighborhood, it asks me for a password. I put in the admin's password and it doesn't work. Anyone know if there is a default sharing password?

I can go into the 98 machines from the 2K machine no problem, but not the other way around. Otherwise, this OS friggin rules! I am so surprised it took all my hardware and software without any hiccups.

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Log onto windows 98 with the username administrator or any other name that you have an account setup for on the win2k box. Then it will work.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Randy, you rule!

Thanks..it worked.

That probably should have been the first thing to go through my mind. D'oh! Good thing I'm still in school! Ha ha.. :)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Took me a while to figure that one out as well when I first started using win2k :(

...and no one I asked knew the answer...even some administrators???

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's one for you... (I keep finding these little "bugs")

I have approximately 400 MP3 files on my hard drive all in different folders by category (ie: a folder for 80's Rock...a folder for Hard Metal...etc etc)

Now as I go into each folder of MP3's, about 2/3 of the files are missing. But, if I right click on the folder and hit "properties", it says that the original amount of files are still in there and the original MB size. The files aren't hidden, because I have hidden files enabled to be seen. So, the computer thinks they are there....but are they?

Luckily, I backed up everything on to CD-Roms before the upgrade....but any insight on this little dilema? Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Well, I have never upgraded from 98 to 2k before. I always prefer a fresh install. Maybe it's related to the upgrade.

Sorry, can't help you on this one??

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Hey Intrepidaious,

Force a run of Scandisk to check the file descriptors? Maybe the problem..

I agree with Randy, I always format before
I install an OS or re-install, yeah, its a hassle backing up, but its worth it, just for overall performance if nothing else.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks anyway...if I can't get it to work, I'll just delete the folders and copy them back onto the machine from my backup CD's...

I agree with clean installs...but since it was 2 AM and I had no clue where half of my drivers are ...I just went with the upgrade. Considering some of the horror stories I've heard about 2K compatability, I think I made out ok.

I'm still liking 2K though...ha ha :)

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepidatious ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts