DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. I am getting a newb comp next week.. My AMD K-6 350mhz with 64megs of pc100 ram just isn't cutting it anymore. I am going to go with AMD Athalon 1800 with 512 of DDR ram. Question is this. I am better off getting Windows 2000 or XP? I heard that XP is a pain in the arse cuz you constantly have to download updates and **** and that win 2k is just a better OS.. Opinions please.. Thanks

Richie

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I have and run both on seperate machines side by side right now.
Xp pro all the way, if you dont want to spend that moula, then Home. I would not endorse illegitimate copies on our fine website, however. :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
If it's a newb computer... def xp. It's super easy to use. Its stable... For me anyways... and if you ahve broadband... you don't even notice the constant updates ;). It just d/l's auto matically you let it install then restart whenever you have time. I really like xp, but am probably going to mac soon whenever I get mine in... I just wanna try all platforms:) but xp should do you good.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Have used it all from DOS TO Win3.3 to WIN95 to WIN98 to 2000 to XP. NEVER had anyproblems with XP. Love it.
Most of you missed the challenges of being online with DOS. Loved the first Commadore64's and the BBS online.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Rich Benner Jr said:
Have used it all from DOS TO Win3.3 to WIN95 to WIN98 to 2000 to XP. NEVER had anyproblems with XP. Love it.
Most of you missed the challenges of being online with DOS. Loved the first Commadore64's and the BBS online.
aww the Commadore64. Never was online with DOS, how about them Apple IIgs now THOSE were sweet computers, just imagine a modem hooked up to that bia.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rich Benner Jr said:
I have used windows 3.1 and WFWG.. (windows for workgroups)

·
Registered
229 Posts
While Win2K Pro is a very fine and stable OS, you should consider the fact that it will be EOL'ed in the relatively near future. XP will also have better driver support in the long run as device manufacturers will write for the most widely used OS prior to writing for an OS with a lesser market share.

Both are equally stable IMHO.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I ran both 2000 and xp and I like XP better. Smoother and less hassle. One thing I love about XP is that it has a huge driver database. When I installed the OS the first time it found drivers for everything. Win2K on the other hand didn't and I had to look for the drivers myself. Also more of my software works with XP.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i've used both. 2000 was the first truly good OS that microsoft wrote. it is stable as hell and has a lot of nifty ****. well pretty much XP (pro...home sucks) takes all the good stuff of 2000 and improves most of it while also revamping most of the iffy 2000 quirks. XP pro is by far the best OS on the market today. just remember to get a -legal- copy ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree with the majority, go with XP Pro, it's the **** I love it. for some reason I'm still a bit partial to win2k but like cj pointed out it's going to be considered out of date real soon. Oh hey, just curious, what OS is next for microsoft? I'm a lil out of the loop on news these days. by the way LINUX roxorz my boxorz! :) and you gotta love the cute little penguin :baaa:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
For home use, XP... Remember though home version has
a few of the bells and whistles removed, one of them
is that you cant log onto a domain controller...

I am still a 2k fan though!!:) XP has to many Maccy thangs:)

Si

·
Registered
844 Posts
I prefer win2k... I had too much troubles with XP. The freaking would crash on me every 5 min and with win2k I have 3-4 weeks uptime quite often... go figure.

·
980 Posts
go for xp , just chk compatability of older software you may have, and some older devices, mainly scanners as a lot of companies are not making updated drivers for them.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I run an Athlon XP 1800 with 512 MB of DDR and I use WIN XP PRO. Never had a problem yet . And I throw a lot of stuff at it!

·
9,861 Posts
There isnt much difference between 2k and xp core wise. But the XP control panels take some getting use to, and can be hard to navigate. Could be just me, but 2k seems to want to kill programs more often xp (this program has preformed an illegal operation, or whatever the message is now).

I run XP on my Athlon 650 w/384mb of ram. I run 2k on my P3 500 w/128mb of ram.

On a side note, dont settle for the fisher price interface. Download Windowblinds and make it look decent, or go with the classic look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts