DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough to get Win95 emailed to me by a very gracious person.

I got each of the 13 installation floppy disks on my hard drive of my server. Problem is the contents of each installation disk is right around 1.63 MB. Floppies only hold 1.44MB Each time I try copying the contents from my hard drive to each floppy to use on my laptop, I get a disk full error 3/4's of the way through the transfer.

Can you format a floppy to hold that much? Did MS use special disks or something? Am I on crack?

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found this info about the 95 installation disks on a website, it makes sense, I didn't have any problems until disk #2:

The disks come in MS's new "DMF" format, which holds nearly 2 MB on a 1.44 MB disk. The first disk is a standard 1.44 MB disk, and Setup loads a driver to read the DMF disks.

A DMF disk can get destroyed by a boot record virus, because the virus over-writes the DMF boot record. As a precaution, write-protect the floppies before using them. For some really dumb reason, Microsoft insisted on shipping the disks write-enabled.

Setup will also try to write your registration info on disk 2. If you have the disk write protected, you can just hit "Continue" and Setup will continue without writing to the disk. For details, read KB article Q136111.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 486 laptop with a tiny hard drive and 8 MB of memory. Not much of a choice!

Thanks CJ.... :)

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, I had gotten it a little earlier. It solved my problem...but it looks like some of the data is corrupt. I'm destined to use 3.11. No biggie..I only use it as a word processor anyways. I just wanted a friendlier interface.

Thank you so much for all the help guys.

·
Registered
890 Posts
And you know something intrepedatious i stupidily threw away the windows 95 cd with the book i could of shipped it to you if i didnt throw it away stupid me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, if anyone has the CD...(and FTP or cable :)) I could put it on my server and just do a network install. I hadn't even thought about that. Now I just have to find the drivers for my LAN card.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts