DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Windows 98 2nd ed came with my new computer. Are there any service packs or upgrades that I need to know of?

2. Is there any advantage in upgrading to Windows ME?

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Just go to the Windows update website (there will be a link on your computer, it will scan your computer when you get there and tell you what you need.)...they will have any updates or service packs you may need.

I agree, stay away from ME. Actually stay away from Windows...get Linux! :) (Just kidding.)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Speaking of Linux, I have a linux box that I'm using to learn it on (when I do have a chance). But I'm very happy with Win2k Pro and Server as my main OS, as I'm sure many of you are, too :p

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I'm very happy with WinME, a lot more stable than the crappy version of 98 SE I was running. Of course that is until I can get my hands on my bro's 2K Pro and Server. ;)

On a side note, since Linus Torvalds intended Linux to be distributed freely, how come I can't find a free copy? Any heads up on where I might be able to?

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
The source code itself is free. Since it is free, many companies (like Red Hat.. etc etc) take that software, bundle it with some extras (like the Red Hat GUI interface) and sell it as an OS.

Being that you can pick up Red Hat or just about an Linux based OS for under $20.00. It's still a bargain when compared to Windows. But, until it is as user friendly for the end user, it won't gain the popularity that Windows has for home use.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I bought Caldera OpenLinux for like $9.99 from Micro Center and it came with some great documentation that helped me get started with Linux, so I would recommend buying an inexpensive copy!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Oh, as for your question...Linux is available over the internet for free....but I don't think you can get the GUI interface for free...(anyone know?) Just pick up a copy of Red Hat. I've seen it as low as $9.00 in bargain bins. If you get an older version, you can update over the internet for free.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
If only people knew the truth..

"You too can have a stable, (somewhat) trouble free environment for little more than the cost of a blank CDR!"

Linux/BSD/Unix and other OS are gaining popularity. But like you said, until it is as user friendly as Windows, it won't be dominate in the market place.

Gee I like my user friendly Windows. Not.

(Uh oh..now the Pro-Windows goonies will be gunning for me.)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I know that if you get the newest version of Red Hat you get KDE included as an optional desktop.

Either way you look at it, Linux is better in many ways. (cheapness, able to act as a webserver, more stable OS) It is getting more user friendly with each release...but the average user can't figure alot of it out.

I dislike Windows myself, but since it is the "status quo" and most software is geared towards it, it's hard not to use! I agree though, I wish I had 2k Pro.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Originally posted by LHSer:

(Uh oh..now the Pro-Windows goonies will be gunning for me.)

Well, I'm not pro-windows or pro-linux only :)

I think they both have their places.

Except for ME of course :D

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepid98 ]

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I know I'll be branded a heretic for even mentioning it, but even Mac OS is more stable than Windows. Or at least it has been in my experience.

I might have to go over to the local computer shops and see what they got for Linux...my father in law has an ancient P75 that would be perfect...

(Ancient P75...I remember when those things were cutting edge..)

What can I say..I got ME for "free".. (Shhh, don't tell Bill.)

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Yeah, a good friend of mine is graphic artist...and she only uses Mac.

Check out Linux though, it's a good thing to learn. I know that Bill is afraid of it. It's emerging quickly. I think it would help on the job market to have knowledge of it.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
heres a link to get the latest red hat web page

you can pretty much get all the flavors of linux downloaded for free.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
oops, i goofed there

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally posted by Intrepid98:
Macs have their place, too (imaging, video)
Actually, for quite a while, Macs have had no significant performance advantage over PCs in those arenas. The primary reason that Macs have continued to dominate Imaging and video applications is a matter of legacy (i.e. video and graphics arts people have used Macs for long enough that they're preferred to PCs...)

And don't get me started on the stability debate. Win2K is as stable, if not more so, than MacOS 9.x and has been proven so. And keep this in mind, it's far easier to write a stable OS for a closed architecture like the Mac than an open one like Windows.

Of course, I'm biased, since I'm a sysadmin who's OS of choice is Windows...

Stay away from WinME, though, it's essentially Win98SE with the DOS mode stripped out. If you can, and don't mind sacrificing some compatibility with games, upgrade to Win2K (or dual boot if you only need compatibility with games sometimes).

My Win2K box at home only gets rebooted when my wife decides to shut it off (why? why must she do this? I ask her not to, yet she does it at least once a month... grrr...) but I have several machines at work that never get rebooted.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Be weary young windows users....Windows XP will change your mind about Windows forever...At least it did for me

Windows XP, based on the 2000 Kernel, is a very stable, and easy to use OS. Unlike that pile of crap called Me, XP will have mega support for all hardware, and future upgradability.

I hate windows as much as the next guy, but XP is a serious OS with a serious mission, that seems to be pulling it's weight on the beta scene. Very very nice, new OS!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts