DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright.. I'm starting this thread to see how other people take care of their window freezing... it wouldn't be a big deal..but I hate going through a fast food drive through and having to open the door like an idiot..and possibly dinging the door in the process(havent yet thankfully) ...
I got a small thin putty knife about 1" wide..and I run it between the window and bottom seal to break it loose ..it works but maybe there's more effective solutions out there.. I'd like to hear some of them..

I have some stuff made by Peak too..it's called Ultra Thaw..window and wiper de-icer..it protects against re-freeze .. ..I searched and could not find an image of it online..or anywhere selling it..so it must not be available anymore.. but that works pretty good... I'm trying to not use chemicals if at all possible..(thaw contains Water, methyl alcohol, and propylene glycol) .. I have 4/5 of my bottle left from last year..I only used it on the drivers side window.

Anyway.. how do you take care of it?

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Keep a thin layer of petroleum jelly on the window seal. not sure what it will do long term but I only do it when its real cold then wipe it off.

·
Registered
550 Posts
heated garage or shop FTW
That would totally be the greatest solution if I were to have one. :glum: I'm running into the same problem. Windows barely move or move real slow, also I have trouble sometimes with lock cylinder and today i had trouble with the interior door handle and the lock plunger. Temps are 15 degrees w/ wind chill today. Also, I have vent visors that attach to the window frame (for lack of better term), if I took them out do you guys think that would help some?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have vent visors that attach to the window frame (for lack of better term), if I took them out do you guys think that would help some?
I dont think the visors are an issue..they only contact the "frame" in about a 2" section.. silicone your tracks..inside the door..that should help with the slowness..it helped mine........if You have tint..use the dry silicone lubricant..liquid wrench is the kind I used.. the easy way is to roll the window down and spray it inside the track.. it'll work it's way down ..roll window up and down a few times to get it evenly spread out.. you might want to hit it twice for good measure..wipe any excess off of the window once it dries. .........The locks IDK..I've always used keyless entry.

·
Grab Your ***** By The Horns
5,691 Posts
Turn up front heat to high for a bit and lightly punch inside of glass? lol

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I was also thinking about putting a strip of electrical tape on the edge of the glass posssably the felt won't stick as quick as it does to glass.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I dont think the visors are an issue..they only contact the "frame" in about a 2" section.. silicone your tracks..inside the door..that should help with the slowness..it helped mine........if You have tint..use the dry silicone lubricant..liquid wrench is the kind I used.. the easy way is to roll the window down and spray it inside the track.. it'll work it's way down ..roll window up and down a few times to get it evenly spread out.. you might want to hit it twice for good measure..wipe any excess off of the window once it dries. .........The locks IDK..I've always used keyless entry.
hmmm, i have had the same slow window issue, especially after the tint job. ill have to try that.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
ok, in most cases your only gonna be opening the drivers side window,, so do this, when you park for the night take a blanket and hang it over the window, keep the water /ice off,, and the window works perfect,,
works for me

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Keep a thin layer of petroleum jelly on the window seal. not sure what it will do long term but I only do it when its real cold then wipe it off.
X2. Its freezing right at the top edge of the window. Moisture gets between the window and the gasket and freezes it. Petroleum jelly would deter that.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
That would totally be the greatest solution if I were to have one. :glum: I'm running into the same problem. Windows barely move or move real slow, also I have trouble sometimes with lock cylinder and today i had trouble with the interior door handle and the lock plunger. Temps are 15 degrees w/ wind chill today. Also, I have vent visors that attach to the window frame (for lack of better term), if I took them out do you guys think that would help some?
Locks have always been a problem in these cars. Go to your local AA or AZ and pic up a tube of lock de-icer. IIRC Bell makes it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
X2. Its freezing right at the top edge of the window. Moisture gets between the window and the gasket and freezes it. Petroleum jelly would deter that.
Mine's freezing at the bottom..I can see it pulling the bottom seal down with the window when it tries to go down and If I leave the window in that position(not putting it back up)..it'll break loose and I have sat there and watched it work it's way loose..top and side seals are not an issue with mine. ........I would try the petroleum jelly ..but I dont want to have it smear up and down my window when I roll it down.. that stuff is hell to clean.
I think my top/side seals dont stick because I hit them with turtle Wax formula 2001 multiple times during the summer months to keep the rubber protected...IDK for sure though.

It think I'm going to do a experiment..cleaning the felt seal with isopropyl alcohol..I dont think it'll do much..but it should get rid of the dirt that's in the felt..and when it gets above freezing I'll re-apply Rain-X ... I wonder if keeping a small spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol in the car for when it happens is a good idea..squirt a bit on top of the seal let it soak into the felt... I just need something quick to break it free..like everyone else when the car heats up it works fine. I'll let you know how it works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts