DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have nothing better to do next Tuesday. So I registered to go to the XP Party in Plainview at the Vanderbilt. It's free and it's from 1:30 to 4:30 and they give all the overviews and tech stuff. But the real reason I'm going is because they are giving $50 towards the purchase of XP if you go (and I'm a big computer dork).

I'm going with some other tech-heads. Maybe I'll meet someone there who will give me a job. :)

I got to goof around a bit on XP Pro today, and I must say. I hate it. Way too many pop up thingees and menus. Way too cartoonish. I can't stand the interface and it makes me want to puke rainbow colors. But, at least I'll get it cheap .. :D

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
In my opinion XP is exceptional, I run many CPU/Memory intensive apps, i.e Photoshop/Lightwave/3D Studio Max, and I could run all three without bother... Win 2k couldnt hold it, it would kiel over.... I do like the new GUI, but I am paid to make things look perdy :) so I am bound to :) But you can change it back to the old Windows 2000 classic look if yo wish... Network speed has increased I feel to, and my games do run alot better, Quake 3 etc.. I am just waiting for Microsoft to send work the official MSDN release so I can put it on my work machine..

Is it worth 200 bux? No, no OS is, is it worth a long download from a Warez site, most certainly.. go to www.easywarez.com
and search for windows xp pro

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That has to be worst amount of pop-up sites I have ever encountered! I easily topped over 300 pop-ups and still can't seem to download anything! How the heck do you get it?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
it's on my ftp too :) been there well about a month now.

I love it!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
anybody with XP had any trouble with that rumoured post-60-day shutdown if you don't call the MS gestapo on the phone and verify your installation? i think it's a bunch of BS but i would like to know if it is the truth or not.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
version i have doesnt have any of that stuff..it's the hassle free one :)

Windows XP Corporate Select
no activation
no evaluation period

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I went to the Launch Party today.

I was quite surprised...Microsoft put out some cash for it...there was a great big buffet of pastries and drinks. I got a free Windows XP T-Shirt, umbrella, pen, notepad...etc etc..

I also got a $50 rebate coupon towards XP Pro and evaluation copies of Visio and Office XP. (already got that anyway :) )

Someone won a Bill Gate's autographed copy of XP Pro and we saw a video from Bill Gates saying basically "Thanks for coming, now buy my stuff".

They had some lady who was nominated for Grammy (I don't remember her name ??) and she sang the Star Spangled Banner.

Otherwise, it was basically big Microsoft commercial the whole time I was there. But it was worth the couple of hours to get all the cool free goodies. :) It was fun though.

·
Registered
229 Posts
As the man says...buy Bill's stuff. It keeps many in my neighborhood employed. If you don't, they'll keep lowering their salary expectations just to get a job thereby leaving me less bargaining room when it comes time for me to re-negotiate with my current employer.

Buy, buy, buy!!! :D

P.S. XP isn't all that bad either. ;)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by cj:

P.S. XP isn't all that bad either. ;)
Actually, after attending this launch, and having them take you through the entire OS...I was left pretty impressed with it. I guess you can get used to the Scooby Doo interface. :) I'm a believer now. ;)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
the scooby doo interface is completely removeable, thank god. i have mine looking almost exactly like win2k pro but of course it's XP. the cartoon schemes are pretty corny, especially considering i have the Pro version, but at least MS was cool and left a way out of the cartoon theatre.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I like the cartoon look. Well I'm still a kid :p

I really love XP pro, much easier to manage networks and has anyone found the damn CD-burning software in it? I can't find it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by Starscream:
I like the cartoon look. Well I'm still a kid :p

I really love XP pro, much easier to manage networks and has anyone found the damn CD-burning software in it? I can't find it.
The CD writing software in XP is actually integrated into the OS. Try the following link (may not work):

Write to CD in XP

If it doesn't work, open the help system and search for "write cd" without the quotes.

[ November 07, 2001: Message edited by: cj ]

Arg...the link keeps putting "http://" in front of it. Copy the line below, and paste it into your IE window:

ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\cdmedia.chm::/cdmedia_WriteToCD.htm

[ November 07, 2001: Message edited by: cj ]

·
Registered
229 Posts
As for the cartoony look of XP, you can now totally customize it and not have to use bloatware.

Simply grab Style XP to enable a fourth color scheme called toothpaste (kind of a Crest Mint Gel color...) and grab Style Builder from the same company to make your own. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thrasher, how do you get to your FTP site??

I can't load it now, but maybe when I get a new computer, or at least a graphics card (3DFX cards do not work worth squat in XP) I'd be handy to be ready to go.

·
980 Posts
Hey Randy Got my system dual booting xp pro and 2000pro having issues with xp though, if I keep having e mail problems with it, out it goes till sp2 comes out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts