DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone I know installed XP on two computers in her house. Now one of them is not allowing her to enter pass the main screen. Im not very familiar with the program, but I've heard that something like that would eventually happen cause of the copy protection. Does anybody know what to do in this case?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Its the copy protection microsoft only allows you to use it on one PC when you register the software it takes a "picture" (for lack of a better term) of your computer (shows all your hardware & configurations)and if you try and run it from anther pc that doesn't have that exact same configuration it won't work. I would go out and buy a second copy.

Either that or "find" a copy of the proffessional beta version laying around like someone I know did ;)

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: Bryan ]

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks Bryan. Now my question is, if I was to buy anohter copy and install it would it erase all the stored files?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by bvwib:
Now my question is, if I was to buy anohter copy and install it would it erase all the stored files?
Windows XP has a nifty little feature called the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" that can help you out with that stuff. To access it, perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start"
2. Click "All Programs"
3. Click "Accessories"
4. Click "System Tools"
5. Click "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard".

The rest is pretty self-explanatory once inside of the program. You'll want to have a blank floppy or two hanging around.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to both. I'll forward this info to see what happens.
Have a Happy New Years!! :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts