DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, lately when ive been using my wipers on my car they dont stop. like i turn them off, but they dont stop, they just keep going. and occasionally when i have the wipers on intermitant mode it will miss going one time, and then they go and keep going. what is wrong? is it worth getting fixed? is it sumthing that i can fix myself?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Possibly the multifunction switch (turn signals/high-low beam-wiper control)... You can get cheap at parts yard, or for upwards of $50 new... Same part for all years to my understanding. I would start there, before going any farther.

also, I like your music quote... How true it is.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why would it be the control stick, cuz it's only the wipers that are having problems. and thanks for the compliment, i also like my music quote ^_^

·
Registered
982 Posts
Check the control switch and the motor. Turn on wipers then disconnect control switch if wipers stop replace control switch if they keep going check the motor, it contains a contact that keeps wipers going after you turn off control switch until they get to their parked position. Also make sure that the ground connection to motor is good.

·
Registered
273 Posts
?! It would be the control "stick" because that's what turns them on/off or to delay. The wiper function works independant from the high/low beam which is independant of the turnsignals. One can go, but the others still work... People have problems with that switch all the time... Both 1G and 2Gs

·
Registered
982 Posts
Icecream Man said:
?! It would be the control "stick" because that's what turns them on/off or to delay. The wiper function works independant from the high/low beam which is independant of the turnsignals. One can go, but the others still work... People have problems with that switch all the time... Both 1G and 2Gs
Actually the motor doesn't go off untill the wipers get to their parked position. So even with the control switch off they still get power and if the limit switch that senses when they are parked is bad they will run all the time or intermittantly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so how do i check the control stick and motor? lextrep you mentioned disconnecting the control stick. but how would i do that? i am not skilled in working on cars, so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Biopacifist said:
why would it be the control stick, cuz it's only the wipers that are having problems. and thanks for the compliment, i also like my music quote ^_^
My wipers acted funny like that until I replaced my wiper control relay. Now they work just fine. Replacing that relay is cheaper and easier than the column switch. Give that a shot first.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wheres the wiper control relay located? is it in the relay box in the engine bay?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Biopacifist said:
wheres the wiper control relay located? is it in the relay box in the engine bay?
Yup.

Just remove the cover on that relay box and it will tell you which ones are the wiper relays. You can get new relays from Advance or from Autozone.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sweet, thanks. ill give that a try and see if it fixes the problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
wiper fix

Hey guys, I had that problem. Once you start the wipers they just keep going and going until the body contol module BCM (computer) decides to turn them off. In these cars, the column control stick is just an input to the BCM. The BCM fires the relays to make the wipers run or run fast. The wiper motor assembly has a feedback signal to the BCM to indicate that the wiper is in the parked position, and the contact surface is dirty, so no feedback signal. You need to remove the wiper motor, open it up and clean the contact surfaces for the feedback signal. (just wipe it off real well, don't like "sand" it...). (The dealer won't repair it, they'll just tell you that you need a whole new motor assembly.)

Anyway, the BCM will eventually detect the fault and just stop the wipers from running wherever they are on the windshield until the next "key-on". Once they've stopped, you kind of need to "jog" the wipers with the control stick to get them to park. Once you've got them parked, it might work next time for a while, but maybe not.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow, that sounds like my problem alright. but i dont know if i want to risk pulling apart the wiper motor myself. i spose i could get my freind to help me do it. ATM he's rebuilding his truck. so he can prolly help me.
how would i go about getting the wiper motor and stuff off to be able to clean it like that? would a Chilton manual be able to tell me? cuz i have been looking to get one, but i dont have a reason yet.

·
Registered
321 Posts
a brass brush is the best to use on those small brass leads from Car Cd Decks to motors. so a electronic repair person told me. and 20-1 its the motor

·
Registered
15 Posts
wiper motor re/re

Hey Bio;
To get access to the wiper mechanism: 1. Take off the wiper arms. 2. Prepare to take off the black trim piece that covers the wiper mechanism by turning the two outermost "quarter turn" fasteners (screws with a little arrow pont on them) outward and remove the 6 plastic body screws and pull out their plastic screw retainers. You can "worry" the screws out with a blade along their edge, they are not really stripped, they only feel like that, just pull them out. 3. Then loosen the long soft rubber firewall to hood seal where it is attached to the strut towers by pushing up the little white plastic retainers with pliers. 4. Now remove the 4 metal clips mounting the trim piece to the firewall, and remove the trim piece along with the rubber seal.
Now, 5. Unplug the wiper motor connector which is kinda above the brake booster. 6. You can remove the whole plastic tub in which the wiper motor is housed by removing 5 fasteners: one nut on the strut tower, and 4 bolts more or less along the housing closer to the windshield. The whole thing comes out quite nicely. (Hint, smear the bolt threads with grease or "neversieze" when re-assembling to keep the rust away...) Then you can strip apart the rest and worry about getting the motor itself out of the housing. Then take the motor apart to find and clean the contact wiping surface inside... have fun.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay. so heres the deal, i know this thread has been dead for a while now, but i just now started having this problem again with my wipers. i had changed the relay and it worked for the time being i guess. lately the wipers have not been stopping period. every time i turn them on, they go and go and go, sometimes they even start up after i have turned the car off and then on. my dad thinks it is the "parking" mechinism and that i should have the car in for it to be repaired before the weather starts warming up and i need the wipers. if at all possible i dont want to take the car in to the shop...im kinda broke at the moment. anything can help here, ideas, thoughts, w/e. thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
Replace the MultiSwitch(Wipers/Turn Signals/High/Lowbeams) That might be your problem. Gotta remember Our treps are known to burn that switch out! Good Luck Bio!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts