DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a bunch of trouble trying to encrypt our wireless signal. My girlfriend and I just moved in to a new apartment and I want to encrypt our signal, obviously. We have a Linksys wireless router (BEFW11S4 V4.0). Can you explain this to me or point me in the direction of a good online source how to secure this signal. My girlfriend lost her old encryption key when she had a friend do it for her, so i had to hold down the reset button on the back of the router to reset it completely. Thanks
Ry

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks JoeKD and biniecki, I'm all encrypted now and its working great. Just one more question for you guys. How can I stop the Internet connection from dropping everytime it finds another SSID? Our neighbour in the apartment next to us has wireless and I'm constantly being asked by windows to view other wireless connections and in turn it drops mine.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump.... this is driving me mad. Can't stay on DI.net with haveing to re-connect with my wireless connection every 2 or 4 minutes.....

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Right.. and as far as the router goes.. you can allow people on certain mac addresses only onto the router, which woudl be semi ideal to disallow others onto the network.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
RYAN said:
Bump.... this is driving me mad. Can't stay on DI.net with haveing to re-connect with my wireless connection every 2 or 4 minutes.....
A lot of people are complain about the connection stability of this router. It's the model I'm using right now and in my research, a lot of people are finding that this router drops connections like mad.

Also, could you do me a small favour? Could you look at the power supply for your wireless router, and let me know what the output power is? I was told 12V 1A, but I would like to confirm with somebody that I know has the same router. I appreciate any help you can give.

·
Registered
711 Posts
when the box comes up telling you it found another signal, go to the bottom of the box and make yours default or preferred or w/e. srry, it's been a while,. and my router isnt working because I lost the power source. lol srry!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stock04Intrepid said:
A lot of people are complain about the connection stability of this router. It's the model I'm using right now and in my research, a lot of people are finding that this router drops connections like mad.

Also, could you do me a small favour? Could you look at the power supply for your wireless router, and let me know what the output power is? I was told 12V 1A, but I would like to confirm with somebody that I know has the same router. I appreciate any help you can give.
According to my router, the output power supply is 12V 1000mA.

In addition, I seemed to fix the problem with the router constantly dropping the signal. First, I placed the router and modem as far from eachother as possible. Second, I unchecked (cleared) "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network." I'm not sure exactly what this second fix did, but it completely helped the problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it is!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Stock04Intrepid said:
A lot of people are complain about the connection stability of this router. QUOTE]

I have this model Router too and it has been working fine without problems for 1.5 years now.

I would suggest for wireless in an apartment that you have Encryption enabled with 64-128 bit encryption. uncheck 802.1x authentication on the available wireless networks page. Run a MAC filter with all the PCs that are supposed to be using the wireless on the list. Set DHCP to only send out the necessary addresses (Have 3 computers, only have 3 clients). Make sure no one else is running on the same wireless channel. And you can set the router to not broadcast the SSID. The router should have a help page built in to help you in the setup process.

·
Registered
296 Posts
RYAN said:
I unchecked (cleared) "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network." !
If im not mistaken i think that has to do with the encryption login. If this option is unchecked anyone is able to get onto your connection. This option forces anyone that wants access to you connection to enter a password. Without the password they cant get connected.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts