DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving in November 2nd. I have till then to learn what I need to know about hooking up wireless for my Dell Inspiron 9300. I need to know what I need to buy, and how to hook it up. Obviously the laptop is wireless ready. If you need to know it's wireless card, I'll look it up, but I don't know off the top of my head. I'll be using a Cable Modem for a base. If you need anything esle, let me know, as I am wireless stupid. TIA everybody...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
i use linksys, never had a problem, always been (for all intents and purposes) plug and play

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was guessing that was gonna be the brand. Is that all I need is a the router? Staples had like 4 or 5 different types....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just remember security is key. A wireless lan is inherently less secure than a wired one for the simple reason that it broadcast it's signal for anybody with an antenna (wireless card in a laptop or desktop) to pick up.

There are some steps you can take to make it more difficult for someone to use your connection and take away your bandwith.

1 Change the SSID (Service Set Identifier) which is the name of your new network.

2. DIsable the broadcasting of the SSID, this will prevent others from discovering your network and joining without your consent.

3. Use MAC filtering (Media Access Control) so that only the machines you specify are allowed on your lan. The MAC address is a hexadecimal number that is hardcoded in every networking device to indentify it on the network.

4. Last but not least change the defaut passwords, everybody knows these passwords and can used to access your lan.

Also use a firewall on the computer, you can use a hardware or software firewall. A hardware firewall is the better way to go but will increase costs. Another way is using a software firewall, a program that you load on your computer that will monitor all the ports on your computer for traffic and ask your permission for the traffic to be let pass the firewall. Zonealarm is an example of a software firewall but there are many out there.

For more help, go to the manufacture of the wireless router that you are going to buy and read up on the ways to make your lan safe. Most do a good job of explaining the features of their product and the basics of networking.

Bigfoot

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Your best option right now is to go with a 802.11G router. The speed and range combined with the price will make you very happy.

I have had very good louck with Netgear and Linksys equipment (easy to setup, dependable, etc) but have also had a couple D-links crap out on me leaving me untrusting of the brand

Best advice, watch the Sunday flyers, someone always has wireless gear on sale

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
We got a Dlink router with our laptop for free... and for some strange reason every few days the laptop won't be able to access the internet, i reboot the router... and it's fixed... i'm not sure what causes that... maybe it's the brand...maybe thats why it was free... It's very easy to set up. We got a program called "network magic" which helps setting up printer sharing, and individual file sharing.. makes it very easy.

·
Registered
711 Posts
well, what kind of range are u looking to get with the wireless? If it's a small house, and you'll always be wireless, I would choose 'A' over 'G' personally.. more speed for less range, so you don't have to worry about any WEP crackers out there..
btw.. do you know how quick it is to crack WEP? unbelievable in some tests I've seen

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
If you don't need the range capabilities of the newer and latest technologies, remember that the speed of 802.11b is faster than than any cable internet service provider (11 Mbps vs 5-6 Mbps from your service provider granted you don't pay extra for the super fast speed) and they are much cheaper than the latest technology.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
dabirdzR/T said:
derek, drive to the new house, with the laptop, see if you can catch a signal, you may not need internet access ;)

Ain't that the truth... there's about a dozen connections around where live.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Hat Trick | Mafioso said:
well, what kind of range are u looking to get with the wireless? If it's a small house, and you'll always be wireless, I would choose 'A' over 'G' personally.. more speed for less range, so you don't have to worry about any WEP crackers out there..
btw.. do you know how quick it is to crack WEP? unbelievable in some tests I've seen

in my experience A will go MUCH farther than G

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Put it this way, my condo that I just bought is 600 sq. feet. A bedroom, a living room, a bathroom, and a kitchen, that's it. I want it so nobody else can access it as well.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want my laptop to be able to go anywhere in my condo, without dragging a wire around.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
ahhh k, make sure the router at least supports WPA instead of WEP, it (in theory) is a better encryption method

1 - 20 of 24 Posts