DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

i dont knwo if this can be done but on the chrysler cd changer cable i found a wiring diagram for it
there is a

B+
PCI bus
Ground
Audio out left
Audio out right
Panel lamps
Fused ignition
Ground

my question if i were to get one of these cables and disect it couldnt i hook some RCA cable ends to the audio left and right and the first ground and then get an adapter for headphone jock and use it as an input for my ipod? i knwo i can get the aadapter but they are expensive and ive done a situation like this with the stereo in my truck
let me knwo what you guys think

·
Registered
105 Posts
With some careful and delicate work with your soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing, YES, you can do tht as far as getting audio signals. As far as the ipod goes, I dont know never owned one and dont plan on owning one! LOL!!!!!

Like I say, be careful and you will be Ok. Also remeber that you will not have any source of volume control in doing this. The signal from the changer is set, and the head unit doeas any and al amplification.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
85 Posts
IntrepidCUB said:
hey guys

i dont knwo if this can be done but on the chrysler cd changer cable i found a wiring diagram for it
there is a

B+
PCI bus
Ground
Audio out left
Audio out right
Panel lamps
Fused ignition
round

my question if i were to get one of these cables and disect it couldnt i hook some RCA cable ends to the audio left and right and the first ground and then get an adapter for headphone jock and use it as an input for my ipod? i knwo i can get the aadapter but they are expensive and ive done a situation like this with the stereo in my truck
let me knwo what you guys think
Why not just solder a 1/8 stereo plug onto it instead of RCAs and eliminate the adapter?

Or make a dock connector and use the ipod's line out feeds instead of the headphone jack. Search around and you might even be able to find a way to charge it while it's hooked up.

Buy dock connector here.
Wiring diagram here.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
It seems like it could work but the problem I see is the output voltage difference between the cd changer and the ipod. I'm assuming the output on the cd changer is very low power because it simply delivers a signal and the radio amplifies it and powers the speakers. Even though the ipod isn't terribly powerful, it does more than just deliver a signal as it is designed to power headphones. There is a very good chance that you will overdrive the amp in the radio and even if you don't damage anything it won't sound good. Plus if there isn't an actual changer hooked up, how will you be able to tell the radio to accept an input on the changer jack? You would need to find some way to trick the radio into thinking a changer was hooked up which probably won't be an easy task.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts