DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funny thing. All other movie file types work great, but when I try to play a WMV in windows media player it is all green and messed up. The sound is fine, just the picture is screwed. Is it because I've downloaded divx/xvid codecs etc.? Is tehre a way I can download a new wmv codec... eventhough it's built into windows. I don't get it... WMV looks terrible on my windows pc yet on my mac it actually works.

Thanks microsoft :).

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
That's weird. Usually you run into that kind of encoding problem with AVI files. It's AVI that there seems to be a million codecs for. Since WMV / Media Player is 'all-Microsoft', make sure everything is up-to-date. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ (I think that's the addr) and make sure you have all the latest fixes and patches. While you're at it, go ahead and upgrade to Media Player 10! Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hardware acceleration, not codecs.

It isn't the codecs. Go into the advanced properties of your display adapter and kick your 3-d accelaration down a notch, try and play again. Once you get 2 or 3 knotches from the left the video will play normally.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Or try a 'better' media player such as MediaPlayerClassic or BSPlayer. You can grab both players and a boat-load of codecs at this url:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm

WMP itself is a CPU and memory hog. Going with a more efficient media player and codec package might let you put off a $1000 computer purchase for a year or so.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I thought my vid card was decent... I have a 9800pro :\ so I didn't think that would have been the problem... I don't really want to kick it down a notch cuz I still need to play video games! :p

It's just an annoyance, I usually don't surf on this computer, but when I do I can't even watch internet movies on it. Oh well... the powerbook came back from the dead at least, although my keyboard is hanging off and nothing is screwed together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts