DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 94 Intrepid with 102K. I recently noticed(all of a sudden) a wobbling sensation in steering which comes and goes depending on steering,accelleration,braking conditions. Upon inspection, I noticed right front tire was noticably worn on inner and outer edges. Also saw that outer tie rod end boot was torn and also looked pretty beat-up. I thought I may have found the problem, but after replacing, the problem still exists and seems to be getting worse. Almost feels as if lug nuts were only holding tire on by a couple of threads. At times steering wheel will shimmy violently until a turn to the left smooths it out, but as soon as I go straight again it comes back. Any input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Could be a number of things. I'd jack up the front end, and grap the wheel with both hands and try to move the wheel up or down and side to side to see if there movement. If there is any movement, see if it's the lower ball joint or tie rod end. It also could be the inner tie rod ends and/or steering rack bushings.

·
Registered
43 Posts
it also could be the ball bearings, im not sure if they are a sealed unit or not. at first i though that it could have been worped rotors, but after reading farther i dont think so.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shook right front tire tonight and tierod end(which is new) is fine, ball joint/control arm is fine, but there is some play and I can hear some faint banging noise in the firewall area. Is this an indication that the steering rack may be the problem?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Inner Tie Rod bushings as Justin posted, and/or steering rack bushing's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I've got something to do this weekend now! I'll get new bushings and replace. Let you know how it turns out. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Inner tie rod bushings it is! After removing air duct and plenum, it was clear what the problem was. The left inner tie rod bushing was totally gone,nothing there. Bought two piece bushings from Advance Auto and intallation was a breeze, except for the dried out hoses that fell apart. Had to bum a ride back to parts store for those, but other than that there was little difficulty. Can't believe how responsive steering is now. I bought the car a year ago with 86K and bushing must have been bad then because it drives like a dream now! I had an alignment 9 months ago when I put new sneakers on it, it's funny that they didn't mention anything about play. Probably just wanted to cach the check. Well, thanks for all the input. This website has saved my ass a few times now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts