DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here are some pics. tell me what you think

I couldn't really find a proper place to mount the ballasts, I kinda just zip tied them on the frame. I'll take some more pics later of where I mounted them. ok so a queston for you xenoners out there. where would be a proper place to mount them anyway?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I also mounted mine to the frame with zip ties....has been holdin up for a few months now....Ronbo did his the same way, and hes had them for over a year, so you should be fine!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you guys think H.I.Ds look good in those black diamond headlights? I think that might be my next mod

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
MikeW said:
profuse glare.
Bad, very bad.
call me a noob but what is profuse glare? too bright? well if its that, I did aim the headlights a bit lower toward the ground. and in nyc you need all the light you can get with all these pot holes here...

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Glare-aroni. It appears in your pic from the front that there is a lot of stray light transmission above the horizontal plane of the headlights.

*For everyone* pictures of the front of your car to show light output or brightness from new headlight mods is USELESS! What you do is show the projected light pattern from different distances like 5-25-50 feet. Kinda like he did in the 3rd picture. It's good to show cutoff too.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yeah way to much glare thank god your in NY. I prefer mine instead real H.I.D.
Heres a close up of a retrofit theres 3 other member with them and the results far out weigh the price you pay for them 2nd picture is from 50 or so feet away look at the beem patern nice and clean no glare

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
sonicrob said:
call me a noob but what is profuse glare? too bright? well if its that, I did aim the headlights a bit lower toward the ground. and in nyc you need all the light you can get with all these pot holes here...
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

A coiled metal filament has very well defined dark regions and bright regions.
An arc discharge is a nebulous source of lights (arch shaped due to convection currents)
They are not interchangeable. Projector headlights have the cutoff defined by the shield, so HID retrofits isn't very bad. The light distribution under the cutoff is still wrong. But putting projector HID capsules in reflectors is the worst possible setup.

Did the person who sold you these even give you D1R/D2R vs D1S/D2S?

I still think ALL arc discharge headlights should be required to have dynamic auto leveling and cleaning systems, retrofit or no. Hella sells a rear ultrasonic detector to determine the change attitude, with their kits.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
MikeW said:
so HID retrofits isn't very bad.
That's an understatement...

MikeW said:
The light distribution under the cutoff is still wrong.
How's that ????? Every single car wich is top of the line comes with HID projectors as this is the best setup to date, some cars still have tham as options , wich IMHO is well worth it unless you can do it yourself for cheaper (that's if you know your way around that stuff, otherwise you can piss off a lot of ppl.). Since I have had my HID retro not once have I been flshed the highs by other drivers, wich means my light goes where it's supposed to and not in oncoming drivers eyes. So if this is wrong light distribution, what's the right one then ???? BTW I'm totally against PNP kits in reflectors, I really don't like being blind when taking a corner. And Danil Stern is an opinionated SOB so take his ideas with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I have aimed my headlights a bit lower than before. I've been driving with these for a few days now and I have had no one has flashed their lights at me yet. and in nyc you need the most ground visiabilaty as you can get. I'm even thinking about getting fog lights

·
Registered
2,917 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The distribution is wrong if you jury rig a projector with a different light source.
So there are projectors for H7s, and what have you.
and there are projectors that are mapped for gas discharge light sources.

If there wasn't, you might end up with all the light right in front of your nose, which defeats the point of projectors, which is to have the best possible distance vision without offending other traffic. So you need to put AS much light as possible as far down the road (right under the cutoff) because it is far away going and coming back.
That is why EU cars are required to have suspension sensors that measure more than just attitude (one rear sensor can not distinquish from rear end squat, or just overall vehicle loading, plus two sensors cut down on the latency of dynamic auto leveling ~1/2 to 1/4 second) because they understand that anything with more than 2000 lumens is a weapon of mass distraction.

I remember that in Ronin, when they were zipping around in the S8.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Agreed, my point was if you know what you're doing you can in fact have a really good setup and that guy's website doesn't seem to want to admit it. My assemblies are HID projectors so they were designed to accept D2S/D1S bulbs and not create any glare.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
MikeW said:
Yes agreed, but do you have dynamic auto leveling and a cleaning system?
Not all cars that come with Xenons stock have Dynamic auto leveling, for instance:
Caddys don't have it, Acuras (TSX ,TL) don't have it, Audi's don't have it, Euro Golf's don't have it, Mini Cooper's don't have it, so there's a lot of cars that come stock from factory equiped with HID systems but don't have that kind of feature. As for the cleaning , there's even more models that don't have it . Also somebody has to think about cleaning them , and most ppl don't, even then I've seen them in action and they're pitiful to say the least. They' will just add glare, bcs the fluid will distort the beam when on the surface of the lense, something that dirt doesn't , so basically you're adding a potential hazzard. Myself I always try to keep my headlights clean, but that's bcs I care to have my light where I want it to be, and taking a min to do that doesn't bother me at all. Now we're going to start bashing all car manufaturers , I don't think so. There's a lot of R&D done by these carmakers and some of the best toys go only in their top of the line models to distinguish them from the rest, but don't think for a moment that the rest would get unsafe equipment .

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Yes but they should be illegal, and be recalled and retrofitted. [at least with the automatic leveling system]
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hel...ndustry/Light/TILicht_Elektronik_GB_TT_16.pdf
I prefer dynamic auto leveling, much more fun. Pop up washers work great, two sprays and you don't even have to clean it with a paper towel.

I believe if that you went through all the work of a projector upgrade, you will keep a roll of paper towels and some windex in the car, and as a conciliatory gesture you have them aimed low enough.

Quad H7 motorcycle
http://www.apriliausa.com/modelli/road/zoom_photogallery.asp?id=496#
I am not sure what BMW does on their K1200LT (optional hid low beam)

I was across [turning left on arrow] an intersection from an Acura TSX, I was three seconds from going across the intersection and smashing those projectors, no leveling. Fracking Honda.

http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hel...AutoIndustry/Light/TIScheinwerfe_GB_TT_18.pdf

1 - 20 of 32 Posts