DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I mentioned in the New Members Forum, my '00 R/T was stolen in Denver about a month ago. The insurance finally paid me off 16.1K after it was all said and done. I now have the chance to buy an '01 R/T, but it is a recovered theft vehicle.

As near as I can tell, it was stolen in 01/01. The title wsa again issued in 06/01 with Chrysler Insurance Co as the owner and an odometer reading of 10 miles.

The car's appearance is excellent and it seems to run good too. The odometer now reads 20,350.

Of course, DC has canceled the warranty on this car.

The seller is down to 14.5K

Would you buy it?

How would you check it out before you did?

Thanks

Batman

·
Registered
500 Posts
Depending where u leave, there are services that come out to the car and do a prety thurow (sp?) inspection and it's like 50-60 bucks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, I did run the VIN thru CARFAX, it came back clean. the only title issued so far is the one in 06/01.

No Salvage/Junk title
No Grey Market title

No nothin'

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Nothing on the carfax and it was stolen and has a reissued title? I'd stay away unless you have your heart set on it. I can think of a lot of better cars for 14K.

·
Registered
617 Posts
HMM stolen cars are usually cars that are stolen for the sole intent purpose of RAISING HELL. buyer beware on this one, if it were up to me id pass but that just my .02

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I'd ask the dealership what had to be done to restore the car to it's current state. If any repairs were done on it etc. Full history.

If your paying 14k for a used car that' a theft recovery, you'de better believe it's your right and a half to know what's going on with it. For all you know there's a slightly twisted frame there or what not.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'd say no, but the bannana keeps saying yes.

Check into it alot. If you can't find certain information or it feels kinda shady to you, back out. I personally would look elsewhere.

-Adam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that's my problem Skyst3alth, I'm thinking with the "banana".

But seriously, the odometer reading AFTER the title was reissued claimed 10 MILES. How mush damage can someone do in 10 MILES? Would I have anyway of knowing whether or not the odometer head was replaced?

The vehicle isn't at a dealership. But I think I'll pay for a thorough inspection.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Batman said:
Like I mentioned in the New Members Forum, my '00 R/T was stolen in Denver about a month ago. The insurance finally paid me off 16.1K after it was all said and done. I now have the chance to buy an '01 R/T, but it is a recovered theft vehicle.

As near as I can tell, it was stolen in 01/01. The title wsa again issued in 06/01 with Chrysler Insurance Co as the owner and an odometer reading of 10 miles.

The car's appearance is excellent and it seems to run good too. The odometer now reads 20,350.

Of course, DC has canceled the warranty on this car.

The seller is down to 14.5K

Would you buy it?

How would you check it out before you did?

Thanks

Batman
Too bad you weren't closer to the Twin Cities here in Minnesota. The Dodge dealer I frequent has a few R/Ts on the lot, most notably a black 2001 for $14,995.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LHSer

Which Dealer is it? I'm not TOO opposed to flying to the Great White North to buy a R/T.

Do they have a website?

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
It sounds like the seller is trying to get close to blue book value on it. The fact that DC cancelled the warranty is enough to come down on the price. Previously stolen car with unknown repairs... i don't know... for 14k you can definitely do better else where.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
That is what I would say...look around a little more. For 14.5 you should be able to find an R/T that is not a recovered vehicle. I will run some searches...see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
01 R/T, 37K miles, $16K in Atlanta Carmax.com

Search on cars.com resulted in nine 2000 R/Ts...no 2001s or 2002s. None of the cars listed are over $14K.

Found a bunch of R/Ts all years on http://www.autobyetel.com/ might want to try searching your area.

·
Registered
802 Posts
How mush damage can someone do in 10 MILES?
I melted my engine together in 2 miles :)

I'd seriously consider looking elsewhere. He seems to be asking too much, especially for a stolen car. There are plenty of other r/t's to be had out there, espeically ones that were not previously stolen. Keep looking around before you decide to go for it.

-Adam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts