DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow.

So recently I had to replace my coolant overflow/recovery tank, after doing the radiator and thermostat about 18 months ago. Yesterday afternoon, lo and behold, a puddle of coolant appeared under the front & center of the engine. :glum:

I tore into it this morning to see what I was dealing with. O M G.

Gross.

See below - see all the schmutz above the crankshaft? That was also caked all the way around the bottom of it as well. I 'bout hurled cleaning it out. :dead:

All of this after 60K miles in 3 years - hooray for Duracrap parts! :sneaky2:

·
Woober Goobers!
51,016 Posts
Yikes! DuraSpooge FTL!

·
18,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after disassembly and cleaning, installed a bunch of new parts. Being a Sunday, I couldn't afford to wait for tomorrow to get OEM. :glum:

NAPA Tru-Flow (Gates) Water pump:

Dayco TB tensioner pulley:

After initially thinking the original one was leaking (can't be 100% sure, but wasn't 100% sure it WASN'T), I picked up a Dayco hydraulic tensioner:

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
That's nasty! What parts and what brand did you end up putting back in?

EDIT: NVM I got my answer :p

·
18,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reassembly - mucho bettero.

I gots my TB install skillz honed! Got it first try! :D

New hydraulic tensioner - army green! WTF. LOL

And yes, there's some residual schmutz there on the crank cog and the belt, 'twas all cleaned before buttoning up. :)

·
Premium Member
17,328 Posts
Tensioner pulley - metal. :dance1:

·
18,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I can mark my 200K service done? Ugh. Hopefully I won't have to do this again in 3 years.

·
Registered
19,573 Posts
Er, plastic. I believe it's the phenolic-type material of which the plenum is made. That's what it felt like, anyways.
Yeah, hard to tell from the pic. I heard that they're all made of that material now.. even the OEM replacements from the dealer. My original OE pump had a metal impeller.

Tensioner pulley - metal. :dance1:
lol obviously.. (not an idler! hehe)

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,985 Posts
Good catch, nice work!

Could have got ugly very soon.

·
18,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Dan! :love:

When I found it Saturday, but it was only one instance of coolant loss (drove it several times that day), I was thinking that this morning was merely exploratory - I was not expecting to need to get this done right away.

Fortunately, the local inventory deities were smiling upon me and I was able to get 'er done today. Going full OEM would have been nice, but I was able to get brand names that I sufficiently trust.

Man if the steel part of the TB cover had a plexi window above the crank pulley... that would be awesome. LOL

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,985 Posts
From the looks of that stack of goop, it had been seeping for some time.

I got just about 2 years out of my Duralast pump before it did basically the same thing. It would have ran much longer had I not tore it apart for the wiring swap.

·
18,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And after driving it a bit after all this was done, I'm very aware of how different the car starts and runs. As in, some of the startup groan/growls/sounds are no longer present.

That tensioner pulley definitely had a worn bearing.

·
18,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From the looks of that stack of goop, it had been seeping for some time.
I was thinking the same thing. I think I just got lucky with this one. That anomalous puddle of coolant was the ole' girl trying to send me a sign!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts