DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this **** out. I have done a few redlight racing before, but I have NEVER done a full balls speed race before. I was traveling down a country road and there was this VW (I think it was a Golf). We were both stuck behind some idiot who was only doing fify. Well, she turns and this VW dude was on my ass so I floured it. To my amazement he was keeping up with me. I'll admit at this time I really wasn't trying. I underestimated him and that was my failure. So I said what the hell and really punced it. I think I could have gone down a gear (lack of experience starts to show) because my car wasn't gaining speed all too quickly. He started to pass me and I'm like "no ****ing way". He actually passed me!!! Maybe I was in fourth at the time and didn't realize it, but we were only doing about 90mph at this time so I should have gone down to third. He had to have NOS on that ****er. When he got into the lane to pass me, he wasn't overtaking me. Than out of no where he just passed me! Shortly after that I slowed down. What the **** did this guy have in his VW. It was a nice looking ride but it wasn't riced out. I have a hard time believing that a stock VW could have done this. But than again this was my first time doing this sort of race. I'm sure I could have beaten him in a full fledge race. I don't think he could have gotten up to 140mph.

For the record this car is extremely smooth riding at 105-110mph. :)

But WHAT THE ****!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
does the R/T have the autostick (this isnt really nescessary, but it helps) i was actually on M-52 (or was it M-14) heading through hudson, MI earlier this summer, and just as i got out of 'town', i was stuck behind some van that was going like 20 mph in the 50 zone, so i passed him, and some kid in a gray VW golf (was it the same guy???) passed him and hugged my bumper real close. he kept flashing his lights, so i slowed down, and waited for him to pass (going maybe 50), well, he got next to me and then it was a full on drag race... i dropped my 97 into 2nd, and rocked it to 70 before i shifted to 3rd...he got back behind me and tried to keep up but i was going about 90 for a good stretch of time...i hit a groundhog with my undercarriage four miles later, yeah, that sucked.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Warlord.. I got a mate who is real big into
VW`s, apparently the V6 VW Golfs (Which it could of been) are EXTREMELY fast, at this point I dont know specs, but I`ll get them..

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the golf was a GTI it is a V6 they are hi-po engines. I think that you could have taken him if you would have gone into 2nd gear. Anything under 70 is OK to go into 2nd, at least on my Gen 1 3.5. I was driving a buddies 85 mid size LTD with a 5.0L fuel injected engine and we were racing a yellow GTI and the guy kept right up with us until 90 mph. Next time you see him let him have 2nd gear. :) Matt 97 3.5 ES

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the R/T has the autostick. But I wasn't using it very well. I can get up to about 80 in second gear, but I think I was going about 90 when he started to pass me. By the time he completly passed me I was going about 105. I really was a little hesitant to do this because I was worried about someone pulling out of their driveway (it wasn't a completly flat road). If I wasn't as hesitant I could have gotten a little bit of a jump on him. I didn't think he really was going to race all the way like he did. My lack of experience, my underestimating him, my lack of full commitment to this race, and my shitty job at using the autostick and completly messing up my shiftpoints, all combined to make my look bad. But all is good. It was fun. I never got her up to that speed before. I want to go faster!!! :) I learned a thing or two and if I get into that situation again, I hope to be better at it. :)

He actually turned onto the same street I did at the stop sign. There was no room to go at it again. He turned onto another street and I went straight. I could have given him the ricer fly by, but I showed respect and honked my horn a couple of quick toots and waved at him through my moon roof.

Oh that's another thing. During the race I had my moon roof open and the back right window open a little. I should have closed them to reduce drag.

Hey Valhall, I believe it was a dark green Golf. :)

Si, I would be very interested to know those specs.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Originally posted by Warlord187:

Si, I would be very interested to know those specs.
I`ll ask my mate at work tommorow, he is actually my boss! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I understand Warlord, I like to race too even if I lose. Its something about 2 screaming engines and knowing what is going on in there and of course the adrenaline rush. Sometimes I have raced cars that I know I will loose to just to see how mine compares. :) LOL Matt 97 3.5 ES

·
Registered
349 Posts
I don't know the specifics, but I do know that VW shares the same 1.8 and 2.8 engines from the Audis. The 2.8 is in the vr6 jetta (I think), the Audi S4 (although turbocharged), the A6, and the VW Passat. Stick an engine like that into a tiny hatchback and that would be one quick car.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
http://www.vw.com/golf/engspecs.htm#tech
thats What I can find. maybe the GLS. still steems kinda fishy.... 250 hp in a 3500lb car (trep of course) or 150hp in a 3000lb car...... and the GTI edition is a 174 horse v6.... still doesn't beat us with the HP/weight ratio....

[ August 27, 2001: Message edited by: Lafrad ]

·
Registered
23 Posts
When my wife was looking for a new car we took a VR6 jetta for a run. That thing with the 5 speed was a neck breaker.But at around $35,000 it was a little too pricey for the daily grocery getter let alone would of been a ticket magnet,wife has a heavy foot with a few tickets under her belt.She ended up with a Civic.I certainly wouldn't feel bad about losing to a VW in a race.If you know you are always going to win then there is no fun in the race. The only thing is if it happens is to lose graciously and not act like the ricerboys or other wannabes.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Anrom:
The only thing is if it happens is to lose graciously and not act like the ricerboys or other wannabes.
Exactly. That's why when he turned onto another road where I went straight, I honked my horn a couple of quick toots and waved at him through my moon roof. :)

Of course, I'm pretty sure it was a Golf that I raced. :(

·
Registered
973 Posts
hey warlord - I don't think everyone caught your meaning about being in the wrong gear. It's happened to me too! If you're in autostick and you have selected 4th, it isn't gonna downshift no matter how hard you push on the gas so your gonna be picking up speed at a snail's pace. If I'm not sure what gear I'm gonna need, I just leave it in full auto so it will downshift if I need it. It sure is humbling to have all the R/T stickers and big tires and then go real slow just 'cause you had a brain lock-up and had it in the wrong gear. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts