DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
wtf? HELP

In my auto tech class at the college we have a scanner that you plug into the car's computer and it will tell you EXACT rpms, actual water temp and all sorts of other things. I was bored during class one night so I pluged the scanner into my car's OBD 1 connecter and with my engine idling the scanner read 800 rpm when my tach read 1200 rpm. and when i reved and held the engine at what my dash tach said was 2500 rpm the scanner was reading 2100rpm. Why is it so far off? The cluster has never been taken apart. Why would it be that far off from the factory?

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
at least its being consistant. always 400 rpm high. You can fix it, Just need to recalibrate the cluster. That requires removing and opening it up though :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
If you're idling at 1200 rpm all day, then you know something is wrong.

Get it re-calibrated if you want, but it's no big deal unless you race a lot.

·
Registered
865 Posts
so does that mean when you redline it, it looks like 6700rpm? or whatever the 3.3 redline is +400...

If you're idling at 1200 rpm all day, then you know something is wrong.
I think he idles all day at 800rpm but it says different.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
It's just the cluster that is off and that shouldn't effect his shift points. The PCM is still keeping an accurate reading - if it weren't the car wouldn't run since the timing is all done from there ...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LeadFootLee said:
so does that mean when you redline it, it looks like 6700rpm? or whatever the 3.3 redline is +400....
I never redline it. But the redline is 5440rpm for the 3.3L because it is not OHC.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
lol i never got to 54 its 5200 :) i red line it usually never. i get to like 4000 alot though

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
i guees it just jumps to 5440 then down. im never looking at the needel when it redlines usually infront of me. because that motor is screaming and everyone is thinking im a jerk off. :)

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
RJ said:
What difference does it make if you redline a 3.3 or not? :D
Ouch, keep the gloves above the belt.... :rollgrin:

·
Registered
865 Posts
LOL @ RJ, is there a bennifit to not being OHC?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
RJ said:
What difference does it make if you redline a 3.3 or not? :D
i dont understand ..... is this supposed to mean if you redline a 3.3 that all you get is a loud growl from the engine and no speed. well ifso its true. lmao

theres so many 3.3 bashing threads at leaste 1st gens 3.3 arnt like the mighty 2.7 lmao. talk about a **** box.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Peppa Boy said:
i dont understand ..... is this supposed to mean if you redline a 3.3 that all you get is a loud growl from the engine and no speed. well ifso its true. lmao

theres so many 3.3 bashing threads at leaste 1st gens 3.3 arnt like the mighty 2.7 lmao. talk about a **** box.
a 2.7 could pin ur 3.3 into submission.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
RJ has a 3.5, I was just kidding anyways, but I still do think that the 3.3 runs a lot smoother than the 3.5 or at least the 3.5's I have driven

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
popimp said:
RJ has a 3.5, I was just kidding anyways, but I still do think that the 3.3 runs a lot smoother than the 3.5 or at least the 3.5's I have driven
I owned a 3.3L Concorde for almost three years (I still work on it since it's my daughter's) and I've had my 3.5L for just over a year. The only difference I can feel is the 3.5L shakes a little harder because of all the extra power ...!!! :biggrin:

j/k - I really can't tell much difference between the two when it's idling except the buckets aren't quite as cushy as my old split-bench was ... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts