DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is caused by the gpu over heating because of the inefficient cooling fin design. It was purposly made smaller to make room for the dvd player.So what happens is the gpu gets overheated and is unseated. So this vid will so you what to do I have done this to a friends 360 and it worked great.its very easy to do. NEVER EVER USE THE TOWEL TECHNIQUE IT WILL CAUSE MORE DAMAGE.and I have a link on how to open the 360 also.
Video Click me
How To Open 360

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
There are so many reasons why the RRoD happens. I had one and it was from a simple resister blowout that goes to the power supply on the mainboard (Motherboard). I fixed mine by installing a new resister but it keeps blowing out. The last time I fixed it I used a chopped up IC socket so I don't have to pull out my solder iron each time. I need to find a higher resistor so it doesn't blow out, at the same time i'm scared too because it might cause other things to blow/burn out.

·
Registered
708 Posts
dang, i just bought a refurbished one off ebay for 99.99 with controller and wires, and 90 day warranty, meh. hopefully it breaks before then so i can get a refund
Look in the back of the console the date manufactured. Maybe they refurbished yours with the new motherboard.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
There are four motherboard models, the first two are known to have SERIOUS RROD issues. The latest two, falcon and Jasper, don't have it as often.

The Falcon unit has a smaller CPU core, from 90nm to 65nm if I remember correctly.
The Jasper has a reduction in both the CPU core and GPU core, the only unit to have both cores reduced in size, and power consumption

IMO Try to get a Jasper unit, or try to do the XClamp mod as that has been known for quite a few years now...

BTW, so far there have been no jasper units with the RROD failure reported.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
There are four motherboard models, the first two are known to have SERIOUS RROD issues. The latest two, falcon and Jasper, don't have it as often.

The Falcon unit has a smaller CPU core, from 90nm to 65nm if I remember correctly.
The Jasper has a reduction in both the CPU core and GPU core, the only unit to have both cores reduced in size, and power consumption

IMO Try to get a Jasper unit, or try to do the XClamp mod as that has been known for quite a few years now...

BTW, so far there have been no jasper units with the RROD failure reported.
I think it would be a little in convenient taking apart an xbox to see if it is a jasper at the store before buying it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts