DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i had win 98 on my computer before, and when trying to install XP it would always lock up on me, so last night i formatted my hard-drive and was going to do a clean install, but it does the same thing... It boots from the cd and loads up about 10 million drivers and then at the bottom of the screen it says "staring windows" or something like that and it never goes any farther?

any ideas to why it does that?

BTW - AMD Athlon 1.4ghz, 40 gig HD, 512mb PC2100, 64mb Geforce2 MX-400

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Do you have a HD controller? I have heard the XP installation doesn't make friends easily with them.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If your drives are connected to anything other than a "standard" IDE controller, you will need to have a floppy disk with the appropriate drivers and do the F6 thing on setup. All of Microsoft's 32-bit OSes require this - NT, W2K, and XP.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is a 40 gig ATA/100 - would that not be considered standard EIDE because it uses the 80 pin cable?

·
Registered
229 Posts
That is correct. The only controllers that are considered "standard" are the primary and secondary IDE controllers that are on your motherboard.

The easiest fix would be to go to the motherboard manufacturer's site (if the ATA-100 controller is on the motherboard) and grab the drivers from them. Alternatively, if the controller is an add-in card, grab the drivers from the controller manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and if that is the problem, where can i get the drivers?? can i d/l them from anywhere, or would they be buried on the cd i got with my motherboard?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by cj:
The easiest fix would be to go to the motherboard manufacturer's site (if the ATA-100 controller is on the motherboard) and grab the drivers from them. Alternatively, if the controller is an add-in card, grab the drivers from the controller manufacturer.
They may be on the CD, however, you will need to copy them to a floppy in order to use them during the installation program. I recommend that you grab (download) the drivers from their site. Remember to extract (unzip/expand/whatever the case may be) them to a floppy and use that floppy when you to the F6 thing.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, i finally found the drivers and Txtsetup.oem file that i needed, but the only drivers on the cd are for NT4.0 and Win2000, no XP... it still locks up even if i load them. Where can i get the XP drivers?

my motherboard is an EPOX 8KHA ( http://www.epox.com ) but i couldnt find the drivers there

i'm stumped.... :mad:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, i just ****ing give up... :mad:

this is giving me a huge ass headache.. i finally found the XP drivers (I tried the HPT371 and HPT374) but no matter what i do it will still lock up. I'm going to send an e-mail to the Epox tech support, but until then i'm going to go put win98 back on my computer... i hate using my parents, its too damn slow

Thanx for all the help, even though i haven't gotten it to work yet.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, finally got it to install... turned out all i had to do was upgrade the bios on my motherboard..

so far i haven't quite yet decided if i like XP though... theres lots of weird stuff on here... and that green start button bothers me for some reason...

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, one more quick question - how exactly do you get it to stop grouping **** on the windows bar... Like when you have 3 explorer or MSN windows open it puts them together.. I HATE IT :mad:

·
Registered
217 Posts
right click on the taskbar, choose properties and un-check the 'group similar taskbar buttons' box.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks grimmster!!! :D

Does anyone know why when i dial up to the internet it plays the nice annoying modem sounds over my speakers?? XP is the only version of windows where its done this, and hearing your modem in surround sound isn't all that great....

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm glad evetyone was able to help you, I posted some problems I was having with my XP install and Rany had to shut down the topic becuase it got so ugly.

I am still woring out bug on my system. I do think my machine is running a bit quicker under XP.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by JGarrett98:
Does anyone know why when i dial up to the internet it plays the nice annoying modem sounds over my speakers?? XP is the only version of windows where its done this, and hearing your modem in surround sound isn't all that great....
You can disable the modem speaker by unchecking "Enable Modem Speaker" in the modem configuration screen of the dialup networking icon's properties. Alternatively, you can access the configuration screen via Control Panel. Glad to hear that you're working again.

I remember reading something about needing to update the BIOS on that board in order to get XP to work, but the manufacturer's site said it only was applicable with a particular video card (a GeForce3 if I remember correctly) was installed. Ah well, at least you don't have to scrap XP.

Also check out ThemeXP.org if you want to make XP look different. I'm currently using one of the .NET themes with my taskbar moved to the left side of the desktop as opposed to the bottom. Using this in conjunction with the Virtual Desktop Manager from the XP PowerToys set of utilities is a pretty good setup for swapping back and forth between logical desktop groupings and window groupings within the desktops.

Plus, if you like to fiddle around with your machine, you can do pretty much anything you want with XP. To see a small amount of what you can do, do a search for *.msc on the drive you have XP installed to and play with those. They are consoles for the MMC and will open up the MMC with that console loaded when double-clicked. Just remember what you change so you can change it back if a particular tweak doesn't help.

Check out TweakXP.com for detailed performance & usability tweaks.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know you can turn the modem sound off, but i dont want to - i like to be able to hear if its connecting right (sometimes it does some funky ass ****) i just wanted it to stop playin on the speakers... its not a big deal though

1 - 20 of 20 Posts