DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
saw a poll somwhere else today 80-90% said they would not use xp, better sell your Microsoft stock

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Those kind of polls come out all the time, they don't make a hill of beans.

I have a pre-release version of XP Pro, and so far I have seen no bugs. In fact, as I remember 2000 Pro, it is the exact same thing, save for the "look and feel" department.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I love Office XP, yet we have had weird things happen to IIS 5 when using Frontpage XP with it... Strange.. hopefully a Service pack down the road will address this.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Windows XP really is cool. I have used the final release for a little, and really liked everything it had to offer, but There wern't drivers for my 3D card (VooDoo5) so I went back to 2K. I need to play CS. just one of those things

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I installed XP 3 days ago, and I havent been out of it since!

It's great! it's fast! and so far has run all the games i have thrown at it!

only things i i have found that dont work..
my casio dp-8000 printer, and my logitech mouse software doesnt work (must have double click!)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I was going to install it but.....

I'm so happy with 2000...I can't see a reason to. I don't need the cartoon looking GUI. I'm happy (and since I'm still in my 2000 classes, I can do all my homework on the OS I'm learning about) When I get to my 2000 Server classes, I'll probably install that. But, I don't think XP will see my machine for a while.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
xp is cool on my roommate's computer. i popped in the CD and ran the compatibility test and there aren't any drivers for my mouse and keyboard (logitech, trasher....don't you love the double-click mousewheel???) plus i'm not certain how my antivirus and utilities software (norton 2001 for win2k on both counts) will react. i want to make sure i have at least AV because i'm on a LAN and i'm always on. maybe you guys know something i don't. will the 2k stuff work with xp? i might switch then, but only after at least one SP comes out.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The real reason to use XP is if you bought a computer and it has Windows ME on it or you made the mistake of installing ME over a perfectly good Windows 98 installation. The sooner you wipe Windows ME out with ANYTHING else, the sooner you'll have more fun and less frustration with your computer. Of course, other reasons to use it include the ability to run games and other apps that 2000 won't, etc.

Other than that, the GUI is kinda cool, and ease-of-use is better (especially for the home user).

However, I will not be switching to it for a while, as I do not really need any of the things that XP offers over 2000, which I currently use.

If you currently have 98, or especially if you have Windows ME, upgrade to XP as soon as you can. Even the early betas of XP were far superior to ME's best iteration.

:)

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I agree with 00ChryslerIntrepid, WinME is trash, the company I work for won't support it in any way. As a matter of fact we won't even TEST winME for our product. So we tell our clients win95b, win98, NT or win2K only!!!

I had WinMe installed on my laptop for exactly three days (to test drivers) and then formatted the drive and installed win2K. So, currently I have two home PC's on win98SE, one NT server and the win2K laptop. I have an old P200mmx that I may try XP on since I am not afraid to blow it up but for my main machines I will be leaving them on their current OS.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'll be switching as soon as I can get WinXP pro. I love how gorgeous it is and I have heard nothing but good about it. I love my Win2k Pro install, but its not pretty :) I like how they're trying to make it "macish" pretty.

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
I'm upgrading to XP for the fast-context user switching alone... in my house the 3 of us are always clamoring to use the 'big' PC (1Ghz Athlon) and this would keep us from having to log out, log in, blah blah blah...
:cool:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Windows ME, well I'm STILL a long term supporter for Win98se & wish I never put ME on my systems. A fresh install of ME with the same drivers from 98se & the same applications, but 2 things, random Spool32 errors, & Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 never shuts itself down & ends up demanding to shut itself down when ME is rebooted or restarted. I have to say ME is "slightly" more resource friendly but that's about it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We have Microsoft in-house as they are using us as a guinea pig. I've stayed away from the betas but they have just provided us the gold code. As soon as the desktop guys hack away at the OS, break it, and figure out the fixes/workarounds I'll probably put it on my desktop. We may then put it on approximately 14,000 desktops.

At this time, however, we aren't going to be putting XP onto any production servers. For that we're waiting for SP1.

As for personal use, I'll be using XP in my car. It has killer power managment features and a working hibernate function.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
well, i took the dive because i got my hands on a copy of both norton utilities 2002 and antivirus 02. i'm not running Windows XP Professional. i must say that the upgrade was quite impressive. i've received exactly 2 error messages so far: both times i have started the computer when windows loads the Win200Pro logitech keyboard driver screws up but as soon as you press ok everything works normally.

i have been very impressed with all the windows update scripts, too. they initialize way faster than 98SE and 2000pro and they install faster after downloading too. the computer boots up VERY quickly. the desktop is highly customizable and is attractive (yes, the box behind the text part of the icons is GONE!!! they're TRANSPARENT - FINALLY!!!). so far i've had no crashes and only the one compatibility problem. it probably helps that i have an Nvidia card so the detonator4 drivers i installed for win2k were also compatible with winXP. no telling how much hassle that saved me. from first impressions, i'd say that the upgrade is safe, though, and that waiting for the service pack, which i NORMALLY advocate, is unnecessary. hope this helps some of you home/small business users make a decision. will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I dont know if my system is in a world of its own, but ive heard people bashing ME since it came out, and it has run great on my system since ive installed it. With 98se i would have to do a fresh re-install at least every 2 months...

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
you are a lucky man, wildcat. Me bashing is no bs...it blows.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I despise WinME. It's odd why you had such good luck with ME but I've seen others who have run WinME with no issues.

XP, i'm running Pro build 2600 on 3 systems now, all different configurations, it's nice.

A few things.

XP uses 80MB of ram for itself. I'd reccomend 256MB.

A 500MHz CPU seems to be the minimum. If your going to let it sit on a rack & run as a server a slower CPU will do. But if your going to be using a XP system on a regular basis be sure to be running better then 500MHz.

Game compatiblity is OK, not great. Games you would think would work, done. Yes you do have the option for compatiblity mode & it actually worked for Star Trek Elite Force.

If your hardware manufacture doesn't have a driver, get the Win2K driver.

Quickbooks 2000 works but the update barfs out on ActiveX, you never know what will & won't run with XP. But over all it's VERY stable, quick, & you MUST disable that POS "Luna" interface. Finding ANYTHING their this interface is a joke. Disable it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts