DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bought a 1995 Dodge Intrepid ES, for 200 bucks. It looks great, no rust and clean. I got it cheap because the owner thinks it needs a transmission. The problem is, it goes in to LimpHome mode after it downshifts, and only goes to 2nd gear and all the good stuff. Restarting, resets the computer, but it always goes back. Now, I plan to have it scanned, and am hoping it's just an input/output sensor or something on that order. My main question is, I am picking it up on Friday, 70 miles from me. I will be driving it home :driving: . I'm going to put some BarsLeaks RepairIT in it, works good with the Chrysler transmissions. Cross my fingers. Any suggestions at all for the trip? Wish me luck, I'll post back from time to time.

PHOTO OF MY $200 INTREPID

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I wouldn't but BarsLeak in it. These trannys only will take pure AFT 3 or 4. If you add that stuff in her you may end up buying a new tranny, not just a sensor. And when you get around to working on her, take it and get a flush done on her and have them put AFT 4 and a new filter. And be careful on where you take it too. Most tranny shops will just try to get a new or rebuilt tranny of you.

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
when does it go to limp on the downshift? from overdrive to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd?

aka your cruisin highway speed, slowdown to stop on an exit ramp and bam limp mode?

if thats the case, try shifting into 3 and then slow down.. my transmission worked fine that way, drove it for a few months like that.

in anycase, its usually from to big of a tolerance in the gears.. I never got mine looked at thou, as it was just cheaper to buy a 2000 2.7l trans and do the swap myself, then to pay the diagnostic fee's on the stocker..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I will try all of what was mentioned. Alot of people complain about dodge transmissions, but I think it's just a matter of changing the fluid often with the correct type. My Jeep has 200K and it shifts like it did off the lot. ATF+3 all it's life.

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
yeah... it is a matter of maintaince.. these "42le" tranny's are super sensative, in correct fluid is one of the main killers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Damn... :circle: Nice looking ride for just $200.Hope you get her figured out with the suggestions the guys provided.Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought it today... Had to drive it 70 miles home, all very busy freeway driving. Not a single problem. I fell in love with it instantly. It has trac control, another cool thing I didn't know it had. Oh, and the good news. It drove fine the whole way, just about. It did go into limp mode about 2 miles from my house. So, I stopped, reset and went home fine. Here's what I've gathered. If you put it in reverse, it will sit for about 2-5 seconds and act like neutral. Then, it will go in nice and smooth. So, maybe the solenoid? It shifts awsome, very crisp. The fluid looks aged as well. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Before it goes into reverse do you hear any buzzing coming from the car. You can hear the solenoids when they are operating. If they are making noise for the whole 2-5 seconds then their might be some internal pressure loss in the tranny.

We have a Ford Taurus at my summer job that takes awhile to go into reverse. Other than being annoying the tranny on that car seems to work alright once in gear.

Oh, and when you go to change those tranny sensors, if you do, make sure to have a 1" deep socket. It is a pain trying to remove them and tighten with anything but a deep socket. At least it was on my buddies LHS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, update. I've put over 300 miles on it. It doesn't go into limp mode anymore. What does is this. After a good long drive and it's hot, I will pull into the driveway... It shifts into reverse and drive hard and the fan comes on. The engine almost stalls out... and revs up and down. Even in neutral, until it sits for a few seconds. I took it in for a scanning. They said it only says that there is an error with the gear ratio in 1st gear. For driving maybe 50 miles or so, it never has a problem. Any ideas? I bought the 2 speed senors, and will install them tonight. I'll give an update...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts