1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
You guys are no strangers to the internet, and if you've chatted before, it's obvious that it's quite easy to get girls to meet you. Not only are little girls easily persuaded, but even young adults in their early 20's. Where I see the problem is is that parents are not instilling self-esteem in their young girls. They think that they have to have these guys to feel like someone. As long as there are girls out there looking for guys, there will always be boys and men out there looking to take advantage of them.

You can lock up every single of these perverts that are out to take advantage of these young girls, but as long as there are girls seeking, there will be new boys who might even start out with the best of intentions, get a false sense of "manliness" and then ultimately doing something even they regret, cause the internet gives people such a surreal sense of superiority. Even look on these boards. People will talk to one another in such a demeaning way that they'd never do in person.

For fun once, my friend an I were trying to kill some time and we had started a chat with some gal. Seems rather level headed, has one child, was 22 years old. I bet my friend I could get her number in 5 minutes. Sure enough, not only did I get her phone #, but got her home address and her pic. It's a simple game of manipulation, and it's sad. What's even sadder is the number of young girls out there begging to be preyed upon.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I for one have two children, neither one is of "keyboarding age" just yet. Give it a few years though and that will change. I have given a lot of thought how to approach the whole situation, because I too was once "young and dumb", had a computer in my room when I was 15. Now, I never EVER preyed on younger girls... hehe no. At 17 however, I became involved with a woman who was 13 years my senior.... was lookin for some action... anyway... that relationship, which lasted 2 years, probably would have never EVER happened had my parents insisted on the computer residing in the kitchen or some place out in the open. Neither one of my parents were "internet aware" or evey computer savvy, so they weren't aware of the inherent dangers of the internet.

I know I will eventually have to talk about it with my daughter, but damn NEVER thought it was that big of a problem for boys too... I mean, how many of those sick bastards thought they were meeting an underaged boy?? Guess my wife and I have more things to discuss and plan for that we originally thought when it came to internet and our children. I do know one thing is for certain, my wife and I will have a "family" computer out in the open and neither one of our children will ever have one in their rooms.

For those parents out there these days that allow a computer to go into a kids room. I know you're trying to show a level of trust towards your child, but for christ's sake, MONITOR THE HELL OUT OF THEIR CONNECTION!!!!!

That's my $.02 cents worth.

·
Registered
118 Posts
1. A firewall with rules and filtering will stop most unwanted activity such as chat programs.

2. Parental supervision, I used to be a moderator in a real time chat environment, parents think the computer and internet and baby sitters.

·
Registered
508 Posts
obiwan said:
parents think the computer and internet and baby sitters.
isn't that sad? our daughter loves to look at things on the computer with me, especially when I'm coding apps, designing websites or playin games. However, my wife and I make it a point to see that she plays outdoors with us a lot of the time, especially when springs/summer/fall is in the air. She's extremely active outside, which is a good thing IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts