DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know what everybody thinks about Cell phone use in your car. I like the fact that my wife and I have a cell phone and it comes in handy. I don't talk a whole lot on it while driving my car, but on more than one occasion lately, I have either missed my exit on the interstate, or my left turn on a city street while yapping. I don't think "hands-free" phones are any better because it's the "conversation" that distracts you, not something in your hand necessarily.
Anyway, what do ya'all think?
Robin

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Cell phones are great for the car, but I really do wish people wouldnt tell thier life story over a cell phone when driving, its VERY annoying..... Ok I have bitched, I feel better :) :mad:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'll talk on mine occasionally on my way home from work (not hands free) I've never missed any turns or exits so far. It seems like when I'm using my phone while driving I make sure to pay extra attention to whats going on around me. If anything I'll let what somebody is saying go in one ear and out the other if I have to pay close attention to the road for a little bit.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
i use mine in the car quite often, but i usually don't stay on very long.

what I don't like is the government getting involved and trying to make it illegal!!! they really do try to take as much of our freedom away as they can!!! it really pisses me off

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Well, I live in Suffolk County in NY, and the law is you aren't allowed to use a cell phone w/out a hands free set while driving. Starting in November, the whole state of NY is adopting the law. I still see a ton of people driving around with those things stuck their ears. My opinion, it is distracting. I notice people on cell phones are more prone to "drift" out of their lanes and miss a green light when it turns from red.

But, I am not one to talk, before the law was passed, I spoke all the time on my cell phone while I drove. :)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
That's like punishing everyone for a few peoples stupidity!!! It's like we're in grade school or something!! really pisses me off!!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by Intrepid98:

what I don't like is the government getting involved and trying to make it illegal!!! they really do try to take as much of our freedom away as they can!!! it really pisses me off
Speaking of fairness and taking away freedoms...tell that to the family and friends of people who have died in a car accident because some jack ass was taking on his/her cell phone and not paying attention to his/her driving!!!!

I think it's great to have cell phones in cars in case of emergencies and such. I don't think it should be allowed to talk on a cell phone while driving. If you get an important phone call, pull into a parking lot or off the road.

Hands free sets are better because at least you can have your hands free, but they are still distracting.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
You always have a risk of being killed no matter where you are or what you do! It's the loss you accept for freedom, even if it is me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You think cell phones are dangerous.. I saw some jackass driving down the street drinking a 40 of Bud Light the other day.. Right in plain sight with the windows down. Talk about a complete idiot!!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
In my opinion, that's a lot worse than talking on a phone, and yes, that is illegal (as it should be). But it still cannot be stopped completely.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I happen to agree with the law. I find myself much more attentive on the road with a hands free unit as compared to holding the phone. Its pretty obvious, you have two hands available to make key turns and such in danger situations rather than one when you are holding a phone.

Dialing of course is always a hazard.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
First of all, how many of you actually drive with 2 hands when you can?? My second hand never touches the wheel.

Second of all, there has been research done to show that the problem is not with holding the phone, it's with getting involved with the conversation and not paying attention. Talking on a hands-free doesn't reduce your chances of causing an accident, and neither does talking to a passenger.

Third, even when I'm not talking on the phone, eating, reading, watching TV (yes, I've done that), I have just as much chance of not paying attention to the road and causing an accident. I find myself more attentive when I'm trying to do something and drive at the same time.

Last, I don't think you should have the phone glued to your ear the whole time you're in your car driving, but I don't like the idea of not being able to use my phone at all if I need to make or receive a quick call. That's un-american!!

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
<< First of all, how many of you actually drive with 2 hands when you can?? My second hand never touches the wheel. >>

I do not drive with two hands on the wheel... but trust me... if you were in a situation where someone was turning into you... your natural reflex would put both hands on the wheel to avoid an accident. Having one hand occupied by a phone could prevent this. I don't think there is a member on this board who would disagree with that point.

Besides its pretty fun watching someone talking to themselves in a car when u cant see the phone... and the hands free unit is hidden away... hahaha

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
No doubt there is a chance of being killed no matter what, but talking on cell phones increases that chance. If you sky dive, you have a chance of dying, why would you want to increase your chances of dying by not wearing a chute?

Having a conversation with a passenger is no doubt distracting. But, if, for example, you are talking to your friend and happend to not notice that big semi stopped at the red light, your friend might notice and yell "Holy ****, ****ing stop!!!" Your friend on the other end of your cell phone has no idea of your surroundings.

There have been many studies done that prove talking on and dialing a cell phone prove very distracting. Granted, things like changing a CD and stuff can also be distracting (studies have proven that also) and some people are more distracted than others.

If you absolutly have to make a phone call, pull off the road!!!

There are a lot of laws that seem to be stupid. A good example is the illegal use of neon lighting. But the laws are there to protect everyone. It seems like big brother baby sitting, but it's there to protect our asses!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
talking about stupid laws, in the state of Texas it is legal for passengers to have open cans of beer and other drinks, but at the gas stations they have large coolers and next to them is paper bags to fit the cans. This allows the driver to have beer and not get pulled over, cause the cop can't see the can just the sack.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Its "un-American" to not be able to talk on a cell phone while driving?

Tell me where in the Bill of Rights says this? I swear, if our founding fathers new people were using such a frivilous excuse that the inability to use a cell phone or other devices while driving was "un-American" they'd be rolling in thier graves.

Remember people, driving is a privelage, not an inborn right.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Originally posted by LHSer:

Remember people, driving is a privelage, not an inborn right.
That's another problem I have with this government. It should be a right, until you abuse that right and have it revoked (and talking on a phone should not be considered an abuse).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts