DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just passed through the WalMart in Maple Grove, Minn.

They have 5 qt jugs of M1 in all the usual weights for $18.88 each.

Fram X2 filters for $8.99 each.

However, their Quick Lube shop will do a change with M1 and a 'stock' Fram filter for $30 including tax and recycling. If you want an X2 filter it's only $5- more.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That price for Mobil 1 seems to be the discount price of choice. BJs Wholesale Club, and Sams Club both have the same price per bottle as Walmart but sell in packs of six. Then again, Sams is owned by Walmart.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
This page now contains my *personal* slant on oil filters.
that just seems like a Fram-bashing site, and i have never had any problems with them, and most likely never will...if it is good enough for the drag cars, im gonna use them on my street cars, so, i'm going to stick with them, but he also mentions many times in the good filters, mopar branded frams and the tough guard

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
TTrepid said:
That price for Mobil 1 seems to be the discount price of choice. BJs Wholesale Club, and Sams Club both have the same price per bottle as Walmart but sell in packs of six. Then again, Sams is owned by Walmart.
And BJ's is owned by K Mart (or vice versa).

·
Registered
3,503 Posts

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I worked at a FRAM manufacturing and distribution facility north of Salt Lake for nearly 9 years. I only used them if I inspected them, and only after I learned what I was looking at, and that's because I knew how much manual assembly was involved. I've seen how they are assembled, and I've been on the assembly lines myself. I've worked in the QA department doing burst testing and FEMA's on the oil filters. It really depends on who you talk to, but I (personally) HAVE seen them come back with problems...typically with their PR valves, but it was NOT due to the design. They are manually placed, as are the retainers that hold them. If they are not placed properly, they do not seat into the end of the filter media like they should. That's where the problems occur.

The filter media is ok...but not as great as it used to be due to newer technology. They do not disintegrate and cause paper to be sucked into the motors...and they don't collapse. At least I never saw one come back that way.

I hear people all the time complain about "blowing a FRAM filter off their car" or the "weak can design". If you have THAT kind of issue, you'd better be looking at an oil system problem, not the filter. Toyota was notorious for this issue in the early 90's. Their pressure regulators built in the pumps would malfunction, causing extreme pressure through the oiling system. Of course, the first thing to go is the filter. It only makes sense, it's a lot thinner material than a journal or passage way.

I currently don't use FRAM filters, since I don't work there and get a discount anymore. I use Pure One's on my cars now days...

·
Registered
589 Posts
for anyone who like fram cut one open i did the filter part is ok ...but the cardbroad on each end of the filter is why they suck fram has been around for years and there heads got big so now they went cheap because they got a name for them selfs........fram sucks

·
Registered
714 Posts
I hate to say it, but the X2's look decent. Maybe Fram is trying to make something decent now.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Warlord187 said:
Cryptic as usual.

But since I have no idea what you are talking about, I guess I'm not one of "them".
For your benefit and all others I will explain what happened.

Dodint is referring to a pair of site members who went on a post-whoring/speed posting binge and cause a lot of unnecessary post deletions for both myself and him

They took perfectly good threads such as this one and decided to use them as their playground

Since the posts were completely off topic they ruined this and one other thread completely. Dodint did a lot of work so that the relevant information was preserved here.

Myself and Dodint hope that the offenders have both noticed posts were deleted and will keep BS activity like that on sites such as http://forums.offtopic.com/ and not ruin our great community

Please don't say that you didn't see any "rules" about not doing it here, it's just common decency

You ruined good topics such as this which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing. You lose. Good day sir.

·
Registered
38 Posts
"You ruined good topics such as this which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing. You lose. Good day sir."

well said willy! lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts